Landing Page Noob

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MattSepeta, Oct 5, 2009.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Greetings!

I have always been the graphics guy at my company, and was recently saddled with creating landing pages. I am completely new to this, and have tried researching my question on the web, to no avail.

What would a typical landing page dimensions be?

I have found all sorts of conflicting information on the most popular monitor resolution, telling me it is either 800x600 or 1024x768.

This has a significant affect on the fold location, so I was wondering what you Web folk typically do.

-We are going to be making fixed size windows, so the pages will not scale.

Thanks for any input guys, excuse my ignorance in this field!
    :)

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Before i can assist more can you explain what a Landing page is ?

3. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Conversion Page

It is going to be a series of independent pages that a user/customer will end up at as a result of a search engine result, clicking a banner ad, etc...

A concise, one page/fast conversion page. With a buy now button.

Such as.... http://www.cdfnetworks.com/images/lp3.jpg

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

for most popular display size = check your company's web site log.

5. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Perfect!

Thank you VERY much. After stumbling around google analytics for a bit I found it.

Results shocked me, actually, considering we market to parents of pre-schoolers, as well as grandparents.

1280x1024 was 1st
    followed by 1280x800, then 1440x900.

Interesting.

Again, thanks. I had no idea it was so easy to access that information. :)

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Glad you found the info. =)

One thing is for certain. Except for mobiles, no one uses screens smaller than 1024x768 at this time.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

And old people, and the visually impaired. My grandparents screen is horrible to look at.

8. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Friendly Fact Time!

The visually impaired can use screen reader technology, i.e. text to speech or magnification techniques. This ties into section 508 Accessibility compliance mostly for government web sites, but all developers should be kind to the visually impaired by allowing scalable fonts when possible and alt tags with your images, in my opinion.

It's great you checked your own analytics for a "suggested" default screen resolution to work with as was advised here. But if you're interested in international data on this subject...

According to Market Share who tracks such things 1024x768 is indeed the most common resolution setting these days. Many others concur that finding, as do I with my own site. As for grandma and grandpa at 800x600, they only represent typically 4% of visitors. Those below that, i.e. 640x480 are either not tracked at all or statistically insignificant, it seems.

See attached image to summarize or check detailed and up to date stats here (very interesting stuff).

-jim

Attached Files: