Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pokey42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2019
I, like many of us, am on video calls all day. I refuse to buy a new iPad until they come out with one with a landscape camera. I realize the entry model has one, but I want the Pro for all the usual reasons, plus I do like the magnetic Pencil 2 and, as we all know, the magnetic bit goes where the camera would have to be.

However, I do not think Apple really will put in two cameras. And it's weird to totally get rid of the vertical camera because many people use it that way. We know that Apple is releasing an updated Magic Keyboard along with the new Ipad Pro. Is it possible that the new Magic Keyboard will have a landscape camera attached to it somehow? So when you're using it as a web-surfing device the camera on the ipad is in charge but when you put it in the keyboard somehow theres a little camera tab that flips over the top on the landscape side that takes over? Is that crazy?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Considering that iOS 17 supports webcams, perhaps it might be better to invest in an external webcam which connects via usb-c, and use that instead? Just need zoom to support it.

Reactions: JD2015

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I, like many of us, am on video calls all day. I refuse to buy a new iPad until they come out with one with a landscape camera. I realize the entry model has one, but I want the Pro for all the usual reasons, plus I do like the magnetic Pencil 2 and, as we all know, the magnetic bit goes where the camera would have to be.
Apple could use split magnets on either side of the camera.
However, I do not think Apple really will put in two cameras. And it's weird to totally get rid of the vertical camera because many people use it that way.
Thats what they did on the iPad 10.
We know that Apple is releasing an updated Magic Keyboard along with the new Ipad Pro. Is it possible that the new Magic Keyboard will have a landscape camera attached to it somehow? So when you're using it as a web-surfing device the camera on the ipad is in charge but when you put it in the keyboard somehow theres a little camera tab that flips over the top on the landscape side that takes over? Is that crazy?
What about a MK which allows the iPad to be mounted vertically as well. That would give the benefits of a landscape camera While video chatting and Stage Manager will let you stack apps vertically

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I use my device in the landscape mode 99% of the time and do not see a big problem using FaceTime with the camera the way it is!

Reactions: Darth.Titan

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
I like the thought but what you're describing is a new physical mechanism introduced to the accessory in the form of a popup camera.

Such things are prone to breaking and are hard to design as to make sure they do that outside the warranty window. Looking at how Apple usually go out of their way to eliminate similar elements from their designs, I don't see this idea happening.

Dual magnets on either side of the camera housing + Pencil 3 (if needed) sounds more likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.