Landscape in 3.0 - can it be turned off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rojo, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I actually hate how in Safari that landscape mode automatically happens whenever you turn the phone. Sometimes when I'm in bed or lying on the couch, I REALLY don't want the orientation always flipping on me. Seeing how landscape is coming to a lot more apps with 3.0 really worries me. I have NO interest in a landscape keyboard (I actually find it more difficult to type with than the regular portrait keyboard).

So people with 3.0 -- did Apple by any chance include in the settings the ability to turn OFF landscape mode? And if not, would you mind requesting that in your bug reports? Thanks!

2. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

I KNOW checking the news etc in the morning I've got to hold it really awkwardly so it works. Alternatively, rotate so it's displaying horizontally, then turn it upside down - it'll be the right way to read it ^^

3. Rojo thread starter macrumors 65816

Rojo

So....any word whether landscape can be disabled? (I'm guessing probably not, but worth a shot...)

4. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

5. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

Agreed, most annoying thing about 2.0 was this.

A way to turn auto-orientation off would be really, really good.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I don't understand what the problem is. I don't really like using Safari in landscape most the time, so I just hold it upright. Do you enjoy reading things sideways? I just tried to read an email sideways and don't understand why you would want to hold it like that. I doesn't really matter how I'm oriented I hold the phone portrait.

7. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

If you're lying on your back then landscape is obviously not an issue. However, when you are lying on your side the landscape mode makes things very uncomfortable as far as usability.

I do like landscape otherwise though, just not when I'm lying down. It would be interesting (nice?) if there was a way to override the accelerometer and manually select the orientation.

8. weeman macrumors 6502

Auto correction can be turned off

Settings - General - Keyboard - Auto-Correction - Off

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Might want to reread that post.

10. weeman macrumors 6502

Touche.

Thats what I get for trying to be helpful...haha.

11. Rojo thread starter macrumors 65816

Rojo

Thanks for confirming.
    I sent feedback to Apple asking if they could add this prior to official release of 3.0
    Anyone else who dislikes auto-rotation as much as me, I urge you to please do the same!
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html