All iPads Landscape users: Home button on the left, or on the right?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by K-Funk, Jun 14, 2014.

1. K-Funk macrumors member

I prefer to use the iPad in landscape orientation, but I'm never sure if I should orient it with the home button on the left or on the right.

I guess I would prefer for the WiFi antenna to be towards the top of the device, away from my body, but I'm not sure where the antenna is.

Thoughts? :confused:

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have the home button on the right because then the volum and mute is on the top for easy access.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I just pick it up and use it. Mostly in portrait mode for browsing. Landscape for games.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Any teardown that I can find says the wifi antenna is behind the Apple logo, in the back center of the iPad.
    Orientation should make very little difference in the wifi reception, and your body certainly won't affect that reception.
    (Well, except for those who think they have "high body electricity/magnetism" :D
    Those would be the same folks that, years ago, would magnetize/stop any wrist watch, supposedly even digital, according to the stories. Now, THAT, I expect, would leave any iPad in a hazardous condition! , but iPad orientation would still have little affect… )

5. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Since I am right handed, I use it with the home button on the right for easy use, but with the gestures I mostly use those now (although I sometimes forget hah)

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I use mine with Home button to the right, as I am right handed. To the left just feels odd to me. Unless a game or app is portrait only, I never use my ipad that way.

7. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I use the home button on the right as well I think The antenna would be under your left hand then, and that is the hand that I keep away from the device monthly.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Same here. I don't worry about which side the home button is, but the volume / rotation lock buttons need to be on the top!

9. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I never think about it... sometimes the home button's on the right, other times on the left. It looks the same.

10. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I'm right handed but I keep it on the left because I never use it, no need with gestures.

Also I find myself typing quite a bit with the split keyboard so it's nice to have the volume rocker and orientation lock at my fingertips.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This is the exact same reason I use it this way in landscape mode.

12. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

On the right because audio comes out better (as opposed to in your lap).

13. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The side connecting to the smart cover is at below since it doesn't cut into the skin.

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

My home button is on the left so that the smart over magnet is on the top.

That being said, since I've gotten my rMini I use it mostly in portrait.

15. NickVanHoeve macrumors newbie

Home button on the right. I dont want to accidentally left my fingerprint on the camera lens and have to wipe it over and over again. #

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

For taking a picture, it is best to use home button on the right.. No? Because when I took pictures with iPhone home button on the left and the exported pictures look up down. :apple:

17. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

It doesn't make a difference where the antenna is, either way it will work. Whether the antenna is on the top or bottom, it's still only 4 inches from the other side so it's no big deal.

18. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

it also means that the power button isn't under your hand to be hit by accident

19. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Before getting my Air, I would hold my iPad where Home button is on the right. Otherwise, I'd be covering the mono speaker if holding it with Home button on the left.

I've always wondered why a lot of apps would start up with landscape oriented for Home button on the left. It made no sense to me, and I'd always try to readjust the orientation by jarring the iPad slightly if it did not detect that it was upside down. Sent from my iPad.

20. joplinG5 macrumors member

Good question! Was wondering about that too when I bought my Air.

Since I'm right handed... home button is always on the right for me.

21. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I usually use mine with the home button on the right so that the volume buttons are on top.

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Generally, it doesn't matter. I tend to hold it Home-button-right as that keeps the volume buttons at the top which I prefer. Plus - and this might be a bit silly - if I'm having trouble hearing something I tend to cup my hand around the speaker which does boost the sound, so it helps knowing intuitively which side the speaker is on.

However if listening on headphones, always Home-button-left, very awkward hold the device otherwise with the plug at bottom-left - particularly if playing games landscape.

23. Billit macrumors member

On the left because I wish to have the smart cover magnet at the top in landscape.

24. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I don't care. Whatever way it goes is fine for me.

25. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

it doesn't matter for me because i only use gestures. i have pressed the home button probably a maximum of 10 times the entire 2 years i have owned my iPad 3, and maybe 3 for the almost 1 month i have owned my mini.