iPhone X Landscape when waking iPhonex

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noupf, Mar 29, 2018.

1. noupf, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018

noupf macrumors member

so, can anybody tell me why the hell my phone occasionally wakes up in landscape mode......and doesn’t allow for rotation to portrait (non-landscape)? It’s really annoying the **** out of me. I know you can lock out landscape, but i do use it for certain apps, so thats not really an option for me.

One would think that if the phone wakes in landscape, a quick little rotation should get it back to portrait ( non-landscape ) so i can swipe up to open the phone like normal......

Attached Files:

2. mattguy10 macrumors 6502a

mattguy10

This seems to be a glitch that only affects some users. It has never happened to me, but I have seen other people like yourself with this frustrating issue. If a reboot or hard reset doesn’t help or only helps temporarily, you may want to try a “reset all settings” in settings > general > reset. I know doing that can be a PITA, but if it fixes the issue, then it’d be worth it. I would try a full restore through iTunes as a last resort. Other than that, I don’t think there’s a simple fix.

3. noupf thread starter macrumors member

so.......apparently myself and everybody else on the planet that owns an iphone ( running iOS 10.4 and later ) has this problem too........however, most of you just don't know it.

I have actually spoken with an apple engineering team and they are looking into it.

If you dont have face ID activated or if you dont use a passcode, you will have this problem. Since 90% of users use a passcode of some sort, you wont have this problem. Its a coding issue.

Personally, i dont use a pass code or face ID, so if you are using safari or youtube or anything else in landscape, hit the sleep button ( while still holding the phone in landscape )........and then try to re-wake your phone by holding it in the portrait position, your lock screen will still be stuck in landscape. Forcing you to swipe sideways, not up.

Go ahead and test it out. I did, on about 15 iphones, all of various sizes, models and so on......

4. mattguy10 macrumors 6502a

mattguy10

5. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Only time it happens to me is when I wake my X while sitting on it's charging pad. But when I pick it up it quickly goes back to portrait.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple doesn't care that much about landscape mode on the X or Plus phones. If they did they would have built support for it in all they apps like Podcast and Music. Its just a feature they half-heartedly tossed in to try add value to the more expensive phones.

8. noupf thread starter macrumors member

Oh, seems like when I asked or loooked it up on the web, it was a few and far between issue. Everybody seemed to say “nope, no problem here, must me your phone or a glitch in your iOS software on your phone”.

9. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

No, it’s down to the device getting stuck in landscape mode while playing videos and locking the screen in that mode. Very easy to reproduce.