Landscaping apps

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
Since th ehouse I just purchased has a nice sized yard, and has a few large trees already I am looking for a good landscaping app. Heres what I'd like:

To make a drawing of yard, then add things to it.

Possable have most things pre made (database of images of diff plants, and landscaping things (rockes, pavers, trees, betches)

A free trial to try before purchasing.

Cost is no issue, but I would like to try it before I purchase it. Does anyone know of an apps tha meet what I am looking for?

Thanks in advance
Joe

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
such landscape design programs do exist, both commercial and shareware. Bryce and LandscapeCalc come to mind. Try VersionTracker and you'll see them. I've not used them and don't know if Bryce is available for trial. Happy landscaping!

Applespider

macrumors G4
It doesn't have lots of images of plants (they tend to be generic trees/bushes but you can paste your own images of specific plants in) but Omnigraffle 3 has a 'gardening' stencil kit. It has paths/fountains/tables/chairs that you can drop into place and order.

It's very easy to use and you can indeed have a free trial of it (fully working). If you've got a recent Powerbook or Powermac, you may have a copy already (or qualify for the cheaper upgrade)

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/

Here's a screenshot of what it can do from Omni's site

Attachments

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
god im a moron, I already have that. I guess I should have looked at what apps I have before I posted. and its exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

LandscapeCalc is pretty nice two, now I know what I need to buy.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Applespider said:
It doesn't have lots of images of plants ... but Omnigraffle 3 has a 'gardening' stencil kit. It has paths/fountains/tables/chairs that you can drop into place and order.

It's very easy to use and you can indeed have a free trial of it (fully working). If you've got a recent Powerbook or Powermac, you may have a copy already (or qualify for the cheaper upgrade)
Thanks for the OmniGraffle info, too. I didn't know it was that versatile. That pushed me over the edge and I ordered and licensed a copy. I had thought it was mainly limited to business graphics but someone has even devised a news reader with it, their site says. Love their OmniWeb already.