Language Database App for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AusMacFan, Apr 30, 2011.

1. AusMacFan, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

AusMacFan macrumors member

I'm currently studying French and I want to find an app that allows me to create a database of French words and their English translations. Ideally, I would like to be able to filter these words based on things like alphabetical order (kind of like iTunes) and be able to search for them. Essentially, a translation dictionary app that I can make additions to.

At the moment I generally just use online French dictionaries, but with an app like this I would be able to focus more on what I learn throughout the course which will come in handy in exams and assignment where I am expected to show my knowledge on the things that we learnt in class.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

There is Bento which I think will meet your needs. There is a desktop and iOS version with each having to be purchased separately. But, update ONLY the desktop. The onetime I attempted to update the iOS version and sync, I lost the changes. :(

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So you're looking for a modifiable translation dictionary application. I would change your title since what you're looking for is a lot more specific than an application that uses a database. I can't begin to explain to you how many applications use some kind of database.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Byki is one of the tools the State Department uses to train people in languages. I know it has customizable "flashcards", but I'm not sure if it has a "database." You could download the trial and see.

http://www.byki.com/

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

An app specific for learning a language makes sense, but Bento also would do a great job. And Numbers as well.

mt

6. AusMacFan thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about that, I changed the title.

As of right now, we generally take note of French words and their english translation in a book as we come across them. However, this is extremely messy and easy to lose track of if they're on a different pages, as well as very difficult to locate individual words. I can't really alphabetise the list because it's constantly being added to. Also, by using an app I could compile all the words I have come across in my French studies, whereas if I were to carry all of my notes from previous years, it would be very tedious.

So basically, I'm looking for something that will replace that with the added bonus of sorting and searching. I will give bento a go, but at $60 AUD, it seems like a costly solution to such a small problem.

I don't have iWork at the moment; I've decided that I'm going waiting for them to update it. Does numbers have some sort of searching and sorting feature?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Numbers is just a spreadsheet application. It's mostly for making nice presentable tables. But if you just want a good way to make a dictionary application (basically) I would use Excel, since there's a lot less graphical overhead. Or even better I would use LibreOffice. It's free and basically a new version of OpenOffice, since Oracle has pretty much screwed the OpenOffice project.

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

"just" a spreadsheet? Jeez.

Where Numbers would excel *ahem* over Excel or LibreOffice is its ability to filter rows. So let's say you had a simple table of an English word, it's French translation and a third column with the part of speech. You easily could filter out nouns from verbs, or prepositions from relative pronouns. And so on.

Excel and LibreOffice might have similar functions (haven't found them), but it's extremely simple with Numbers.

mt

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well considering LibreOffice has a database building feature, like FileMaker (Bento), I would consider LibreOffice much better suited for making a dictionary database. Have you ever even used LibreOffice?

10. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Excel and LibreOffice (Calc) allow you to do that. I have used Excel since 1999, and it was one feature I used at the very beginning.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Ah I now realize why your post was so defensive. By "just a spreadsheet application" I meant that he doesn't need to shell out and buy iWork as he just needs a spreadsheet application. I did not mean to belittle Numbers, I was very impressed with its style when I used it until I realize I didn't need to make such silly, fancy, and wasteful (file size) spreadsheets.

12. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

He could get Numbers only from the App Store for just $20. You don't need to buy the whole iWork package.

I've tried to use the database package with OpenOffice, NeoOffice and LibreOffice. I'd be surprised if anyone has done anything useful with them.

I've used the spreadsheets in all of them, but only for fairly basic stuff. If it's complex, I can use Excel or Numbers, and I favor Numbers only because Excel has some quirks that infuriate me (select a range of cells and hit delete; one cell is deleted instead of them all; that drives me nuts).

mt

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Or he could do it completely free with a database application built for the sort of thing the OP wants to do... hmmm decisions decisions.

14. AusMacFan thread starter macrumors member

If that's the case, then I'll just use excel. I have office at the moment and it's probably a better option than any other spreadsheet apps because of compatibility.