language input problem in leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 108, Feb 11, 2008.

1. 108 macrumors member

I realize this might sound like a bit of a nitpick. Though seriously, it's been bugging me for long enough, and I can't quite take it anymore.

Is there any way to make it so that Leopard <i>doesn't</i> keep input language settings consistent across applications?

I'm not sure how to explain what I mean -- like, sometimes I'm chatting with my friend in Japanese while writing something in English. Back with Tiger, I could flip between windows, type some Japanese in the chat field, send the chat message, flip back to my document, type some English, and then flip back to chat and type some more Japanese.

Now, with Leopard, it keeps the language setting the same across all applications. If I shift into Japanese mode for my chat, and then flip back to my document and type, I'll end up with sixteen characters of horribly scrambled Japanese (I type very quickly).

It's a tiny, tiny inconvenience to have to press Apple+spacebar after each time I switch applications, though really, I kind of don't want to do it anymore! I flip around between a ton of windows at exceedingly high velocities, and I'd like to regain my efficiency!

Please, someone, let me know :(

There's nothing more frustrating than warping over to a Safari window, tabbing to the URL bar, and having the URL come out as nonsensical Japanese alpha-bits.

(Speaking of which, why does the URL bar of Safari even recognize Japanese text? I have the search field for Google searches. I wish I could just lock out the URL bar, and have it automatically be English, seriously.)

2. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Bump -- Same here, with English and Hebrew.

Any idea how to overcome it? Should I open a bug report? As the OP said, there was no such problem in Tiger. And actually, it's even more annoying, because X11.app won't change language unless it's done from the menu bar.

EDIT: Apparently there's a 3rd-part application to ease the problem -- well done, but why has Apple messed up a good thing?

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

It is odd that they removed that preference in Leopard. I was really happy that they added the single input across applications to Tiger because of the way I work/think, but removing the old (and understandably still popular) way from Leopard seems awfully silly.

Seems worthy of a bug report to me even though I prefer the single-mode style.

International character domain names don't seem to have caught on, but support for them is definitely good, so I'm glad Safari has it. I can see wanting to be able to lock the URL bar in English, though (I would, even though I own http://アニメワールド.com).

4. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

I'm with you on that -- they had it working almost perfectly in 10.4.x (some minor problems with X11.app) and now they've take a step backwards. I don't see the point in that.

5. Ludde macrumors regular

I've sent a...I think it was a feature request, about this to Apple and I hope that loads of people join me. I have to deal with three languages almost daily that all have different input methods (Swedish/English, Japanese and Korean).

6. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

I find it strange that no one had mentioned it during the beta releases. Surely someone must've noticed it.

I just hope it doesn't take a lot of effort to work it into Leopard, otherwise we won't see it happening.

7. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

I know that the NDA prevents people from providing specific/any details, but are there any news regarding the multiple input locations?

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I also prefer the single input across all applications and have no problems with using my keyboard shortcut to switch inputs between English and Japanese.

So I have not tried this application:

InputSwitcher

However, it supposedly does exactly what you are trying to do in Leopard, saving the input source state on a per application basis.

Until Apple addresses this I hope it works for you.