Language learning apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jhkaplan, Mar 12, 2011.

1. jhkaplan macrumors regular

Does anybody have any recommendations for language learning apps, primarily for Spanish? I've seen a few in the app store with a wide range of prices, and I wanted to see if anyone had any input.

For background, I took 6 years of Spanish in high school and college, but the last course I took was about 6-7 years ago. I still remember a Loy, but I definitely need a conversational conjugation refresher course to prepare for a trip to chile next year.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

I know I am not answering the question, because I haven't used any language learning apps on the ipad.

However, I know a lot of public libraries offer free online access to language resources like an online version of Rosetta Stone, or Auralog.

Anyone have a chance to try these on an iPad? I don't know if they are flash based or what.

I used to teach Spanish, and would direct my students (and their parents) to those resources during the non-school months for practice.

3. jhkaplan thread starter macrumors regular

I remember reading somewhere yesterday that the online version of Rosetta stone was flash based, and it didn't work well w Skyfire.

4. jessecmaddox macrumors newbie

April 21 Check out TripLingo

I can't offer you immediate help, but on April 21st we're launching TripLingo. The reason we're launching it is the reason you posted this question: there are tons of language-learning apps, but they're all terrible!

Check out this article in the Guardian that tells it like it is: guardian.co.uk/education/2011/mar/08/mobile-learning-technology-apps-moore

TripLingo is customized and teaches you how the locals actually speak. You can sign up on our homepage if you want to be notified when we launch!

Anyways- apologies for the self plug, but came across this article and thought you'd be interested.

If you're looking for something immediate- what are your goals? I've tried most of the apps so I can recommend one that is atleast mediocre for the interim.

Best,
    Jesse
    TripLingo Founder

Here's an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution about us if you're interested: ajc.com/business/entrepreneur-hopes-to-find-851469.html

5. jhkaplan thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Jesse, thanks for the info about your App. I'll definitely check it out when it's released. My problems w/ the current language apps probably have to do more with me and my level than the apps. Like I said, I took 6 years, so a lot of the basic stuff is coming back to me easily. I still need some grammar work, but most of the catch up i need to do is regarding conjugations and conversational spanish. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right apps...

Please report back when it launches. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks!

6. Camino macrumors newbie

Hi

I've been preparing for a trip to France and Spain and got into the Earworms system on my iPad

Amazingly easy to get into, even I felt comfortable at my local restaurant!!

Check out http://earwormsmobile.com - I think they are also available as MP3 files for non-apple users

Good Luck!