Language Problem - Microsoft Word UKEnglish vs US English

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lsaxer, Mar 5, 2010.

1. lsaxer macrumors newbie

I am having a real bear of a time getting this to work, I have recently moved from the USA to New Zealand and need to write all my academic essays in the proper vernacular (UK) English not (USA) English I have changed everything multiple times that this the below site has told me too, but it refusing to work correctly. It does correctly not tell me that the UK English spelling is wrong, but it doesn't however tell me that an American Spelling of a word is incorrect, this is basically worthless as I see it because at the moment it will say like both of the following spellings are correct
    http://word.mvps.org/mac/SpellCheck.html

Organization and Organisation and Summarize and Summarise

as I see it this is basically worthless, the entire idea is to switch all of my natural spellings to the UK way, and right now it tells me both are correct, it would look even worse if I turned in an essay on accident and had two different spellings of the same word than if I just had it all in American English to begin with, please help I am extremely frustrated right now.

thanks
    -Logan

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you create a new document, is it saying that the document is in US English or UK English? Also, have you de-selected US English from the language list in the region settings for Word?

(As an aside, how long is this placement going to last? It might end up being helpful to set up your computer as a whole to be in UK or NZ English, if this isn't a major pain for you).

3. lsaxer thread starter macrumors newbie

Where Can I find out if it says the document is in US English or UK English?
    Both my "Style" and Language settings seemed to be defaulted to the UK English, I have gone to (Tools, Language, and set Default to UK English) over and over again, it doesn't seem to care, it still will tell me that both spellings are correct,
    I am not seeing the "region settings" you are referring to, is this the default Language setting I mentioned above?

I have already changed everything I know how to on my system as well, since yes, I will be here for quite some time. My Input source is set to British, under Formats my Region is set to NZ, under text my Spelling is set to "British English" and under language, I have even removed "English" from the list and the only type of English present now is the "British English" and it still indicates that both possible spellings of the word (American and British) are correct.

On another, but far less important note, I have downloaded the British English dictionary for FireFox to have it correct my spelling as well, and it to now says both possible spellings are correct, when I right click and go to Language, only the UK is selected... Again this isn't really that big of an issue since I don't care how I spell on the internet, but still a minor annoyance.

Any thoughts ??
    -Logan

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, I'm on my new netbook now, and I don't have access to Office (actually, erm, I'd meant to at least install Office 2003 on this thing, but I haven't yet). I'd be happy to check it for you later, if no one else responds.

http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...a5-9bbe-2828ce12de72&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=3

The last post in this thread brings up a good point... which, actually, I'm not sure of. Perhaps a UK user can chime in? Does the Office when running on a UK computer, as typically configured, identify "organize" or "realize" as incorrectly spelled? I note that many UK dictionaries (e.g., Cambridge and Oxford's dictionaries) do note these spellings, so technically, they're found in dictionaries, even if they're not the preferred spelling in many English-speaking locales.