Lap Comfort & Couch Surfing: 15'' or 17''?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZTuned, Apr 14, 2010.

1. ZTuned macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm holding off on the purchase of the new 17'' i7 MBP until I get a better idea of the comfort when you're using it on your lap. I have a Pre-Unibody 15'' and the size is just perfect for browsing the web on the couch.

I've been dead set on the new 17'' MBP, but I'm worried that the larger size, especially the significantly larger "palm rests" and distanced keyboard making it difficult or annoying to use on your lap. On one hand, I would love to have the highest resolution possible with the 17'', and the extra screen real estate is very nice. On the other hand, with the introduction of the higher resolution 15'' screens, it seems like I may be able to get the best of both worlds.

So tell me forum, 17'' i7 or 15'' i7 with HD display for comfort on the lap?

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, I have tried it both ways...numerous times. In the end, the 15" MBP is the one sitting by the sofa and the 17" one is in my study. The 15" MBP is perfect for sofa. Have you at all considered an iPad for your sofa browsing?

3. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering the same. This will be my first mac and first laptop bigger than 13". I just checked out a 17" and 15" at an apple store and the 17" just seemed kind of big for sitting around the house and computing/surfing. The 15" actually seemed a little small and icons cramped, but it wasn't the hi-res screen, and it probably just seemed small because it was right next to the 17". It seemed much more "reasonable" and more comfortable when I held it up closed, though, compared to the closed 17".

4. Herrow macrumors regular

...it depends on use. Are you really couch surfing, or couch working. If you really need the screen real estate the 17" is it. Will this be a 2nd machine?

5. ZTuned thread starter macrumors member

Despite being a Mac user for over 15 years, I don't think I will ever be an iPad owner. I think I would actually prefer supporting heavier/larger 17'' MBP on my lap than having to hold a 1.5lb iPad in one hand and scrolling with the other -- I can imagine this would get tiresome quickly.

And honestly, I need a new MBP to replace my aging pre-unibody. I used to be a desktop junky, but that was phased out when the MBP's trumped the performance of my old dual G5 tower. Ever since, I've only needed a MBP as my one and only computer.

6. Bibblejw macrumors newbie

From what I can gather, the 17" is just a little on the large size of the sofa-browsers. It's possible, but not comfortable.

The 15" is much better, but 13" is better still (if it's mainly the purpose).

I tend to think that the 17" would be better if your intention is to hop between desk-y things (train, office, hotel, etc.) where there will be something to rest it on, rather than resting it on your lap.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Agreed. The 17" MBP just felt too big to casually pick up and put away every now and then.

8. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I use my 17" for everything, work, office, airplane, couch, bed, etc. No one has ever mentioned that it was too big. It's the thinnest 17" laptop on the market...even compared to a Windows 15" laptop the MBP 17" looks smaller.

But if I was buying a dedicated couch surfer (lol) I'd just pick up an iPad.

9. djgcue macrumors member

I was in the same situation. For me, I went with the new 17" i7 MBP. I crossed shopped it with the 15 i7 MBP, but decided that for less than $200 to upgrade to a 17" was a no brainer.

10. ZTuned thread starter macrumors member

So how has your sofa surfing experience been with the 17''? I understand that the price difference between the 15 and 17 is pretty insignificant, but I'm more concerned with the functionality and comfort aspect of 17.

Have you previously owned a 15'' to compare?

Oh, and I'm not planning on purchasing the new MBP solely for couch surfing. It will be the primary computer.