Lapdog asks 17 inch stamina question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canuckistan, May 29, 2009.

1. Canuckistan macrumors member

Hello,

Owing to a back problem, I can't sit for long at a desk. I'm using my 8 year-old white iBook on one of those dinner trays .. the ones with the thousands of syrofoam beads in the underbelly.

This is a very comfortable set up. Now, I'm thinking of graduating to the 17 inch MBP.

My question is for those people who actually use the 17 inch on their lap... Are you able to work away for hours at a time, or is the machine just too darned heavy for long work periods?

Yup, I could go for the 15 inch glossy, but the 17 inch offers many advantages

Tray recommendations are welcome.

Many thanks.

2. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I often use my 17" MBP on my lap and a lapdesk similar to the one you describe. I can work for hours at a time without really even noticing the weight of the laptop.

3. SQBlue macrumors newbie

I use my new 17" MBP in my lap for hours at a time. I hardly ever use it on a desk. I sit in my recliner, kick my feet up and put my MBP directly on my lap. I don't use a lap desk or anything. It works fine. The only problem that I have is that the insides of my arms just above my wrists rub against the sharp edge. But I'm getting more used to holding my arms up so that's getting better. The MBP is not heavy at all. I LOVE IT! (It's my first Mac too!).

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I use the Rain Design iLap tray, the front cushion is excellent, the machine gets a little heavy on extended legs after an hour our two, but you really wouldn't want to sit at a desk for 2 hours or more without getting up for a stretch...!

The machine is excellent for extended lap work, up close the 17" screen is massive.

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

WinterMute +1 here.

The iLap is what I use and the issue is exactly as you stated - my need to get up and stretch is time related NOT the weight difference between the 15" vs 17".

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's only a small bottle of coke over the 15-inch. Weightwise, not enough to make a difference on the lap.

7. 3rdLittlePiggie macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

You are literally talking a 1.1 pound difference between the 15 and 17, with the fact that you are using an iBook, which I own, and I know for a fact is close to 10 pounds, you will not be able to tell that much of a difference, upgrading...that being said, I am still waiting on my 15 dang UPS is taking forever delivering it today...ugh...anyways...I think you'll be fine with the 17, plus the Hi Def screen means easier on the eyes! :D

8. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

What?

Are you implying the iBooks are close to 10lbs? Really?

The High resolution screen is certainly not easier on the eyes as everything will be much smaller.

9. 3rdLittlePiggie macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

Hmm...I am mistaken...it sure does feel like it weights that much! Haha course I've been lugging that thing all over the world for 4.5 years now...I'm so glad my new MBP just arrived.

Magnifying Glass for the bigger resolution? Haha

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I'll disagree with the majority here. I think you will find the weight increase from an iBook to the 17" dramatic. I've used the 17" PowerBook G4 and MacBook Pro for years. But with the unibody release I went back to the 15" for size and weight. My personal opinion is that the 17" is fine on a desk but it's not really made for using on a lap especially for long periods.

11. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Yes, i agree. I have a lapdesk and a 17" macbook pro. It's okay. But you definately feel the weight. For a lapdesk i'd think that you'd want the lightest computer you possibly can. I'd go lighter if you can. Even as light as an air or macbook if the lapdesk is the major part of your decission.

12. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Dramatic weight difference :confused: :confused:

OMG - the "Girlie Men" are taking over :eek: :eek:

I was under the impression that the north Country grows real men and women :D :D

I'd go for the 17" and the iLap and not look back for a second.