Laptop 1TB HDD finally arrived

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fenix90, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Fenix90 macrumors newbie

Fenix90

2. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

8mb cache on a 1tb drive seems like a bad move.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the cache is dependent on the speed of drive, not capacity no?

4. Takashi macrumors regular

The drive was released early this year. Nothing exciting about it. If it was the 9.5mm model, then it's worth cheering.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It's been out... for a while... nothing special, sorry to be a killjoy.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the current laptops support the 12mm drives

7. Fenix90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fenix90

I r idot

Sorry. I didn't know it's been out for some time. In any case. Would you think it's worth a look or just wait until the price and specs get better? It'd be a good storage drive for my current laptop.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Its fairly expensive too. I bought mine for $151 w/ Free shipping a while back.

9. RaZaK macrumors regular

RaZaK

how is the performance?

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Its slow especially on the Latency, but the read/write MB/s isn't bad at all. However, if you were to RAID them, they're as fast as a stock SSD in terms of Write/Read performance.

11. Fenix90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fenix90

I'm kinda confused to why it would be a 5200RPM than 5400RPM. Did it get hot enough for WD to think it should be slowed to 5200RPM? I doesn't look like that big of a difference.

12. Takashi macrumors regular

The extra weight from the additional disk platter might have caused the performance decrease. WD can add a bigger motor but then it will use up more battery power.

I would wait a bit before investing in one unless storage is your number 1 priority.

13. John Kotches macrumors 6502

No it won't be. Latency will destroy that possibility. And striping them (RAID 0) means if you lose either drive you lose your data.

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I said in Read/Write performance, not Latency. No mechanical hard drives can reach the latency of an SSD.

And I know the risks of RAID-0. Thats why there's always a backup, regardless if you're using RAID-0 or not.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh thanks. I needed to know that! :(

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's been around for pretty long time but its availability has been very bad. Now it's available from almost all big vendors like NewEgg and OWC. And yes, all unibody MacBook (Pros) support 12.5mm drives

17. John Kotches macrumors 6502

And I said the latency will block that.

I am willing to bet that two striped 5200 RPM drives won't exceed the performance of a decent SSD. Striped 15K drives is what you'd need to have a chance of beating the SSD. And I doubt that would do it.

And we haven't talked about IOPs either.

Never assume with backups ;)

18. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Latency in hard drives are an issue because the head has to move from one physical location to another. It has nothing to do with writing/reading. One of the reason hard drives is "slow" compared to a SSD is because of Latency.

Have you used the stock SSDs? The stock SSD barely got ~100-150mb/s on read or write performance. My current system can easily manage 100+ mb/s sustained even with both drives 1/2 filled. If I had a clean installed OS, I'm pretty sure I would've easily hit the max limit of SATA-I. A single 1TB 5200RPM drive can do 75MB/s+, times 2, you get a pretty big bandwidth increase.

By that account, there's no need to even back up because back up isn't gonna protect you either.

I'm just saying, using RAID-0, your chances of having a hard drive failure goes up however keeping back ups are a necessity these days. A back up will save you in some situations but not all.

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yep. You would be just upgrading your machine to feature a, oh so handy, double point of failure. ;)