Laptop advice for a college student.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xJus10x, Apr 28, 2008.

1. xJus10x macrumors regular

Hey, I know I'm going to need a new laptop for college. I'm going to wait until July or August to buy, but I was wondering what you guys would suggest - MacBook or MacBook Pro. I'm most likely gonna study accounting. I do have an interest in computer science, but I doubt I'm gonna dive into that. Would I even need the more powerful graphics card for computer science? Right now it looks like I'm gonna get the black MacBook whenever it's updated, is that a wise choice? This will be my first year of college. Thanks!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

get the mb. its more than enough for what you need. i got trhough engineering with an emac and mb and no complaints!

plus you save a lot of mula

3. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks, plus I'm gonna like the black exterior opposed to my 4 year old PowerBook's aluminum.

4. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think that the MacBooks will be updated before August?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hard to tell. you can always use this as some sort of reference
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

6. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it doesn't look like there's gonna be an upgrade. Never know about WWDC though, maybe mult-touch or something

7. thinkband macrumors regular

Don't expect any updates for a while if Apple's past has anything to do with it. Lately they have been waiting 2 months to update the processor after it is announced. If we are looking at a new package for the MB and MBP, expect even a longer delay. I doubt you will see an update before school starts.

8. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Get the MacBook, you won't need the Pro if you're studying accounting. Good luck with your decision and subsequent purchase.

9. Warstrong macrumors newbie

well if you must get a new laptop the macbook will certainly be plenty...

but why does apple take so damn long to update their products? I find it outrageous...
    and does anybody else see the deteriorating quality of apple in general? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think the question has kinda been answered already...

10. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be getting the black MacBook after my open house.

11. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

12. thatguysmells macrumors regular

Why would you need a powerful graphics card for computer science? My friend who studied programming just wrote html all day, and used java, css, etc. You don't need a powerful graphics card for that. I recommend you just get a base 13" macbook pro. I think the specs are beyond what you need, but the added cost over the macbook is worth it, because the build quality is exceptional. I think it would be money well spent. Just take care of it please, don't be like my friend who uses his powerbook while in the jacuzzi. :D

13. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

LOL, yeah, nice top posting something from April 2008, and worse, you guys just posted an "answer"

Post whores, just trying to pad your post count... :p

15. thatguysmells macrumors regular

Haha oh no, I just realized that. Why do people bring these things back from the dead? LOL :D

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Pot meet Kettle.

17. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Hrm. I'm not sure how this happened. I usually only follow Forum Spy, why would this come up?