Laptop advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NiVanc, Jun 23, 2012.

1. NiVanc macrumors member

NiVanc

Ok, here's my situation. The Mac that I currently use is a unibody Macbook Pro 2008 (intel C2D 2,4ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb hd). For the things I do, this machine is really getting way to slow.

Here are the things I do:
    • Itunes, MAMP (if doing web development), Mail, Safari en Twitter are used whenever I'm using my Mac
    • Web & software development (Coda 2, Eclipse for Java, Xcode)
    • Graphic Design (Logo's & UI): Fireworks, Illustrator, Photoshop
    • iWork, Billings, Transmission, iPhoto
    • I travel each day and will use my Macbook daily on the train (90 minutes in total). This is something I do now every singly day with my unibody Macbook Pro
    • I would love to try some video editing in the short future. Nothing to fancy though.
    • It would be my main computer (already have an iPad2)

Now which device should I buy:
    a) Macbook Air 2012 13" i5 1,8ghz/8gb ram/128gb hd. I already have a 24" external screen and external disk that I could use at home. Ideally this could be replaced with a Thunderbolt Display once those are updated with USB 3.0
    b) Retina Macbook Pro (base model)
    c) Upgrade my current MacBook Pro with 8gb ram

I would love to hear your thoughts about this issue as it's driving me crazy:(

2. Man9z0r macrumors regular

Man9z0r

For the kind of work you are doing I think the MBA would be perfect. I think a lot of people think the Air doesn't have much power but that is a huge misconception. It will handle everything you are talking about and then some. The only thing I would be worried about is lack of hard drive space because you can't really upgrade. (I say can't really because I think iFixIt has a kit or something. I would have to get back to you on that.)

I know I know the rMBP is the new thing on the block so everyone has to buy it :rolleyes: but it is way overkill for what you do or even plan to do. Not to mention with my use of it, it makes a lot of things really pixelated. I know that will change over time when more things support it.

Also the MBA will be really light for your traveling use. Those are my thoughts. :cool:

3. NiVanc thread starter macrumors member

NiVanc

Thanks for the input.

More thoughts are always welcome though :)