laptop advice

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Am Kestrel, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Am Kestrel macrumors newbie

Hi everyone I may buy a used PowerBook g4 or G5. Do I need anything else , besides the laptop to get on wifi Why I'm asking,because I never had a laptop or Mac. I thought instead of buying a new rmbp I should just get something cheap for webrowsing and such to see how I like it.any advice would be appreciated.thanks

2. eyoungren, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…

• There was never a PowerBook G5. So if you are looking at late model PowerBooks all you can get is a G4. Apple investigated a G5 in a laptop but the chip produces far too much heat. That is one of the major reason for the switch to Intel.

• You can get on WiFi. Keep in mind that Airport Extreme is the best you can get on a G4 PB. That limits you to 802.11 A/B/G. You cannot do N or better. You are also limited to WPA with TKIP encryption.

• Do not expect the same kind of web browsing performance in a PowerBook or even a PowerMac that you may be used to in an MBP. Mozilla abandoned Firefox development for PowerPC with version 3.x and I believe Safari 5 is the best you can do on a G4. Today's modern internet often brings our PowerPC Macs to their knees with the tons of Javascript that exists out there. Flash is out, unless you want to try a hack and even then it will more than likely be slow and drop frames. Browsing in general is likely to be quite slow compared to an MBP. There is a fork of Mozilla called TenFourFox that supports us (equivalent right now of Firefox 31).

• Your highest version of OS X will be OS X 10.5.8. You will be limited to the last PowerPC versions of any apps you may use.

3. Am Kestrel thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Am Kestrel thread starter macrumors newbie

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm a die-hard PPC fan, but honestly I think an '09 or '10 Macbook or 13" Macbook Pro would serve you a lot better. Shop around and you can probably get the Macbook for less than $200-an early '09 or later Macbook will run the most current OS(10.10, and 10.11 when it's released this fall). Any 13" Macbook Pro will also do this, although it will cost you a bit more than a Macbook. If you want a desktop, look for a Mini from around that time.

As eyougren said, you have to deal with a lot of compromises with PPC Macs. I love them and love making them still relevant, but it gets more and more difficult with each passing year. I'd be afraid that using an iBook or Powerbook would really give you a somewhat poor Mac experience. There are also compromises in the fact that original batteries are now on their last legs for the most part and replacements are either not very good or as expensive as the computer itself. Even with a "good" battery, the battery life tends to not be great for surfing because the modern web is so bloated.

If you are going to get a PPC Laptop, look for either an iBook G4 or an aluminum Powerbook. Both of these will at least give you an Airport Extreme card(or at least the ability to install one) and can still connect to virtually all WiFi networks when running 10.4 or 10.5. The original Airport card can't even see the WiFi networks at the university where I'm employed. If you want to get a desktop, I'd highly recommend either a G5 tower or an iMac G5.

6. gooser macrumors 6502

like bunnspecial i am also a big fan of the 09 macbooks.

7. Am Kestrel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you also,it's looking more clearer now that a ill be better suited with a new mac

8. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

There was too a G5 PB... in our hearts.

It is STILL in the pipeline. Trust me! ;)

OP - Go Intel.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes! :D

And Steve Jobs will be giving the Keynote on it!

Oh wait…!

;)

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Forget the PowerBook G5, at a minimum get the PowerBook P6. Or better yet a refurb late 2013 rMBP. ;)

11. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Considering people make 'laptop' Commodore 64s, X Boxes and Ataris, I'd have thought converting a G5 iMac into a luggable would be relatively easy. Bearing in mind the thickness of the iMac, a slim suitcase version isn't too outlandish - I'd even suspect Apple could have made one but obviously, when Intel machines were just round the corner that didn't require bulging biceps to carry, there was no point :)

5Pac.jpg

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You know, the background in that picture, everything around the Mac there, is just a real BAD Photoshop job!

Nothing in that pic is real except the Mac! ;)

13. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Well Bunn, you've finally been beat with Macs, http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNIFICENT...c&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=141700776814&rt=nc

Mods not my auction, (wish it were)!!