Laptop as desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mandyme, Jun 22, 2017.

1. mandyme Suspended

mandyme

Okay......please dont hurt me, my first proper post and I am asking questions

At the moment I have a Mid 2010 27" iMac. It is running OS X 10.9.5, I tried upgrading but the poor machine just cant hack any higher than what is on at the moment. I can still use it but it is dog slow and annoying and I need new

I do a lot of paper crafts and paper craft designing, so I need the real estate of a large screen but I dont want to totally tie myself to the desk by buying another iMac.

What are my options with getting an external monitor, macbook pro and a good docking system? Unfortunately I dont think my 27 imac is capable of acting as an external monitor so it would have to be a new one

Thanks in advance for any guidance
    Mandy

2. 960design, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

960design macrumors 68020

I use this as a wall mounted external monitor for site / server traffic and data.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=sceptre_led-_-16C-0030-00024-_-Product

sceptre49-4k.jpg

49" 4k for about $169US + $99US shipping. Get an AppleTV and mount it behind the monitor. Then to switch your laptop display to your large monitor, just AirPlay it via menu bar shortcut.

PS You are correct, your iMac will not work as a separate external monitor. Sell it online, being an iMac it still holds pretty good value, even at seven years old.

3. mandyme thread starter Suspended

mandyme

I was also interested in what kind of docks are available to make it streamlined

4. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

If you do end up keeping the imac and getting a macbook you could install this software to use your imac as an external monitor.

https://www.airserver.com

5. 960design macrumors 68020