Laptop as TV screen help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hotsammysliz, Nov 9, 2008.

1. hotsammysliz macrumors newbie

I searched for this and could not find it

Is it possible to use my laptop screen as a tv monitor so that I could for example play a console using my laptop as the screen or hook my dvd player up to it and play movies?

I would think I would just need some sort of cable with rca ports at one end and then something to connect to the laptop if that is possible?

Thank you

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are TV tuners available that work on USB - try www.elgato.com
    I haven't used their product, but people say it works well. For games, there's a lag due to the interface, so it might not work as well.

3. Mr$Whale macrumors member

I thought DVD players were pretty standard in laptops nowadays?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the laptop has a DVD drive, it's no problem to play DVDs. Not all laptops have DVD drives, although I thought all Apple notebooks had at least a combo drive. Maybe he has something unusual for a DVD player? Blu-Ray? the OP was asking about attaching his own DVD player.

5. hotsammysliz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the feedback and i actually wanted it to play consoles. i bought an elgato tv tuner hybrid on ebay for 50$ which was a deal and i hear some people say there is a lag and some people say there isnt but ill make sure to let you guys know how it is in about a week

And thanks again for the quick feedback! :)

6. hotsammysliz thread starter macrumors newbie

My EyeTV Hybrid came in two days ago and i have not stopped using it since. Its awesome and there is no lag at all so i can play my wii on it and nothing is off even with the motion sensing

I highly recommend this for any one who does not have a tv but just a laptop. especially for college students since portability and compactness is important in college dorms.

Now i just need to get a 24inch iMac so i can have an awesome TV and mac in one! :D