Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Hi there,

I do not believe that most laptop sleeves are protective enough, so I am looking for the names of bags that implement two essential features:
A padded bottom in the backpack (also helps the bag to be freestanding) and a laptop area that holds the laptop at least an inch off from the floor.

Looking through local stores, it doesn't seem that many bags have these two features.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I simply can't tell reading from most reviews.

I'm especially interested in the padded bottom b/c I just think that it makes alot of sense.
I'll likely use a regular sleeve around my laptop and then place it inside a laptop backpack.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Hi there,

I do not believe that most laptop sleeves are protective enough, so I am looking for the names of bags that implement two essential features:
A padded bottom in the backpack (also helps the bag to be freestanding) and a laptop area that holds the laptop at least an inch off from the floor.

Looking through local stores, it doesn't seem that many bags have these two features.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I simply can't tell reading from most reviews.

I'm especially interested in the padded bottom b/c I just think that it makes alot of sense.
I'll likely use a regular sleeve around my laptop and then place it inside a laptop backpack.

North Face Surge

barryf43

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Plano, TX
I've looked at a lot of backpacks lately, and,for me, the best by far is the Brenthaven Expandable Trek. Has the laptop protection you're describing, plus a ton of very well organized pockets and storage areas.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I have been thrilled with the incase I got five years ago. They still make a variation of it. Been across the country twice. Wears perfectly. Great protection. Great weight distribution. Not very expensive.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
North Face Surge

Don't you find the Surge, (and most backpacks) are far too large for the MacBook Air's?

It's hard to find a medium sized backpack that the MacBook Air and a few accessories fit in without drowning and getting lost.

Sure you need large backpack for school if carrying books, or long distance business travel.

But a smaller, lighter yet protective backpack with a good inner sleeve and padded bottom is really hard to find. Booq's are protective but really heavy, overkill for the Air...

I have been thrilled with the incase I got five years ago. They still make a variation of it. Been across the country twice. Wears perfectly. Great protection. Great weight distribution. Not very expensive.

Which incase to you have?

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
You can't always get what you want

When it comes to backpacks, I have one for just about every situation: backpacking, biking, photography. I owned probably at least 20 in the last 10 years, not counting messenger bags which I have about 5.

The MBA 13" should be easy to accomodate because of the size and weight. I am ordering a leather sleeve and use it with a couple of my larger back packs (28L) that has a hydration pocket.

And because the MBA 13" small size and weight, I just picked up a Deuter Speed Lite 20 http://www.rei.com/product/810379/deuter-speed-lite-20-pack. It's an extremely light and well made pack with a hydration pocket that my MBA 13" fits pretty well, with a little bit of room to accommodate a thin sleeve I think. The pocket is suspended. I may put a thin block of foam at the bottom for extra protection. This pack is amazing: it's 20L (about 1200 cubic inches), yet it appears to be the size of a medium CamelBack hydration pack.

I find most computer backpack out there too boring. I would rather get a backpack I like and adapt it to fit my purpose. One great thing about the MBA is that they are so light and small (especially the 11") that they fit in hydration pocket which open the doors to may very interesting choices. In the end it's easier to make a backpack more protective of your laptop than it is to make a protective backpack cool.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Don't you find the Surge, (and most backpacks) are far too large for the MacBook Air's?

It's hard to find a medium sized backpack that the MacBook Air and a few accessories fit in without drowning and getting lost.

Sure you need large backpack for school if carrying books, or long distance business travel.

But a smaller, lighter yet protective backpack with a good inner sleeve and padded bottom is really hard to find. Booq's are protective but really heavy, overkill for the Air...

It's got about 3 inches or so in the sleeve. I used to have a 16inch laptop and didn't really see a need to get another backpack. My MBA is in a molded case as well so it's bigger than normal. The other North Face backpacks are a little better fit, but honestly not very useable due to poor design (lot's of wasted space). If you want something small and functional and money is no object then I'd get a Go Ruck bag:

This one is the smallest and fits a MBA I believe: https://www.goruck.com/shop/gr-echo/
another option:
https://www.goruck.com/shop/radio-ruck/

Another bag (not backpack) I love is the Filson 256:
http://www.filson.com/products/original-briefcase.70256.html

and if you're a photographer:
http://www.onabags.com/store/men/the-union-street.html

If you're interested in that PM me and I'll send you a few sites/codes where you can get it cheaper than retail.

Last edited:

imHappy

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011

Which incase to you have?

I do own a Surge backpack from The North Face. I use it with my late 2010 Macbook Air. Yes it would be pretty big to just place the mba alone in there. However I always carry it with an incase neoprene sleeve for the macbook PRO, yet it fits quite nicely on the air.

So placing my air with the sleeve in the surge; fits perfectly! I actually feel that an 17" wouldn't fit that correctly on this bag.

I CERTAINLY recommend the Surge backpack. Not only provides a perfect safety for my laptop (the laptop compartent will make the laptop inside NEVER touch the floor because its elevated if you understand me)

But it will also give you plenty space for daily worth stuff you may carry from school/university stuff, labour or outdoor(obviously) stuff!

Get it my friend!

blowabs

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
BK, NYC
Brenthaven, baby!!
the best...my '11 MBA is doing fine in it...
the link:
/Users/armichael/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2011/07/30/20110730-221253/P7300888.JPG

neile45

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
saw this on Yahoo

don't no how good it is, but it seems to meet your criteria.

STM Jet laptop backpack
($79.99)
Students are constantly on the move, so it’s important for them to have a bag that accommodates their mobile, high-tech lifestyle. The Jet backpack from STM includes a dizzying array of useful pockets, for everything from cables and external drives to keys and cell phones. The Jet’s internal padded laptop pocket is raised off the bottom of the pack, which protects the device from cracking when the bag is haphazardly dropped on the ground. STM has also included an integrated pocket made specifically for tablets or e-readers, which is lined with soft brushed nylex material to protect the screen. Extra-plush shoulder straps help ease heavy loads, and they have an easy-access iPod or smartphone pocket to make listening to music or answering an incoming call while on the go a breeze. The Jet comes in either medium ($79.99) for laptops that measure 15 inches or smaller, or large ($84.99), for laptops up to 17 inches.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
I buy exclusively Wenger backpacks. It's the Swiss Army Knife maker and they make absolutely wonderful laptop backpacks. I had a large one for my 15.6" Toshiba and iPad 1 before, but since I bought the MBA, I had to buy a new Wenger, much smaller, backpack ;)

Both have suspended areas for the laptop, both are roomy.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
It's got about 3 inches or so in the sleeve. I used to have a 16inch laptop and didn't really see a need to get another backpack. My MBA is in a molded case as well so it's bigger than normal. The other North Face backpacks are a little better fit, but honestly not very useable due to poor design (lot's of wasted space). If you want something small and functional and money is no object then I'd get a Go Ruck bag:

This one is the smallest and fits a MBA I believe: https://www.goruck.com/shop/gr-echo/
another option:
https://www.goruck.com/shop/radio-ruck/

Another bag (not backpack) I love is the Filson 256:
http://www.filson.com/products/original-briefcase.70256.html

and if you're a photographer:
http://www.onabags.com/store/men/the-union-street.html

If you're interested in that PM me and I'll send you a few sites/codes where you can get it cheaper than retail.

Those union bags are sooooo nice, but man they are expensive. The domke f803? has a pocket large enough for the air and in waxwear is about half the price.. however it looks a bit smaller.

I Am using a katabag for dslr schlepping -

I also personally feel that a) messenger bags can get very heavy with even a laptop, 3 lenses and body.. and that the union bag needs a heftier shoulder pad. They look wonderful though.

Brenthaven, baby!!
the best...my '11 MBA is doing fine in it...
the link:
/Users/armichael/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2011/07/30/20110730-221253/P7300888.JPG

You can't link us to images on your hard drive, doesn't work. You need to attach it for upload or link to a site like flickr.

blowabs

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
BK, NYC
Those union bags are sooooo nice, but man they are expensive. The domke f803? has a pocket large enough for the air and in waxwear is about half the price.. however it looks a bit smaller.

I Am using a katabag for dslr schlepping -

I also personally feel that a) messenger bags can get very heavy with even a laptop, 3 lenses and body.. and that the union bag needs a heftier shoulder pad. They look wonderful though.

You can't link us to images on your hard drive, doesn't work. You need to attach it for upload or link to a site like flickr.

ooops.....
here is the best bp i ever owned:
http://www.amazon.com/Brenthaven-Me...NGNY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1312430943&sr=8-5

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
The Wenger Cobalt backpack holds the laptop up from the bottom and is quite padded too.

Does anyone know if the 15.6" version of this bag will hold a 15.4" MBP in a protective sleeve? I'm asking as I have the bag but not the MBP.

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
I've used a Crumpler Warm Shower for several years...

http://www.laptopstuff.co.uk/p/Crumpler_Warm_Shower_Half_Photo_Backpack.htm

Crumpler do several similar 50/50 ones (differing sizes etc) as I think this one has now been superseded.

When I don't need it for my camera as well, I can either leave the camera padding in or I can remove it to give more room in the main compartment if I need the space. The laptop pouch stays fixed though.

Crumpler make great bags, worth checking out.

dsk111

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
I buy exclusively Wenger backpacks. It's the Swiss Army Knife maker and they make absolutely wonderful laptop backpacks. I had a large one for my 15.6" Toshiba and iPad 1 before, but since I bought the MBA, I had to buy a new Wenger, much smaller, backpack ;)

Both have suspended areas for the laptop, both are roomy.
[doublepost=1512279623][/doublepost]This is not true. There are NO suspensions on any Wenger backpacks. I have already checked out all the wenger backpacks. You should wink at your self because you a liar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.