laptop bag reviews for 15" macbookpro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerseiko, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jerseiko macrumors newbie

in celebration of the highly anticipated mpb redesign, let's talk laptop bags!

(i did a search and the threads were either outdated or only asking about one particular brand/bag.)

i am shopping for one and would like to see what you guys are using to carry your mbps. i don't want anything too bulky (only want it big enough to carry laptop, wallet, iphone and keys) and i'd give extra points for something that is well designed-- only basic padding is needed, i treat my laptops pretty well. i'm looking for something less than $100 so no crazy handmade, leather bags that cost almost as much as the iphone. oh, and i prefer that it's not a backpack.

i'm aware of most of the basic brands like incase, timbuk2, booqbags, etc but wanted to see if i was missing anything great.

so, what do you use to carry your mbp?

please post pictures if you can! thanks in advance! :D

2. wahgnube macrumors member

wahgnube

A Crumpler messenger bag!

I use a well-crafted Crumpler bag (Luncheon) to carry my Macbook Pro. I also usually carry along a folder or two, my power brick and some stationery. I've been using it since early 2006, when I bought my (first gen) Macbook Pro, and it has lasted me nicely---through much (ab)use and bad weather at the university. It's not too big, has good padding for the laptop, and seems to be extremely well weather sealed. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Oh, and I too cannot wait for the new Macbook Pros to replace my first gen machine (which I still love!).

Random Old Review/Less than $100

3. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i had an ogio bag that i really liked, that started falling apart after maybe 6 months use. i'm currently shopping for something new, but this does give me a chance to find a smaller bag, as the ogio was really too big for what i carry these days. i believe the model i have is the metro.

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

When I need my Laptop and My DSLR: http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-250,2086,14.htm

Awesome backpack, I am using it right now as I am on vacation at the beach. (Its raining, and storms have "double red flagged" the beach, so its off limits, or I would not be online right now, I would be shooting pics of the kids at the beach)
    It has enough room for my MBP (Penryn 15") 2 2.5" ext HDDs, 1 3.5" ext HDD, the charger, the cables I would need for my ext HDDS. For camera parts, it holds my Canon XTI, 2 lenses, my big 550ex flash, a couple diffusers, memory card reader, cables, batter charger, etc with room to spare. Though it can get heavy with the stuff I put in it, its surprisingly small, and makes really good room of the space it has.

I also have a Wenger Swiss Army case, I cannot find it on their site, but the closest thing I can find on their site is this: http://www.wengerna.com/browse/prod...&cat_id=14&cat_name=Wenger Gear&sub_cat_id=63

I bought it at Staples, and they still have them, but the Staples website does not show it when you search for computer case or Wenger. I keep my MBP, a TabletPC, their chargers, 2 2.5" ext HDDs, a toolkit for working on PCs, and some various software on CD in it. Its no where near full, and works great. If I can find the exact model of the bag, I will post a link, but it looks like its being phased out.

I buy a new bag every few months, depending on what I am doing or what I need. Some I blow through because they looked cool, but wore out quickly. Some I get, like the lowpro, for a specific reason. Carry my Laptop and my Camera in one bag. The Wenger is because I needed a laptop bag that was not too bulky, but needed to be able to carry my MBP and TabletPC together without them smacking into each other.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Have to admit I have "a crazy handmade leather bag". I got it last year in a sale in a tiny but much loved shop which sells classy Italian stuff, at a very generous discount and it is elegantly understated and exceptionally well-made. They last forever, look cool, and are surprisingly sturdy. They also hold a lot. I'm happy with it as I found the more standard laptop bags got ragged looking after a while and I'm a fan of good classic design. Cheers.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have a large pelican case (waterproof, sandproof, whatever else proof) as well as a silver aluminum case (large also) that has cutouts for accessories.

I'll have to post pics.