Laptop bags - UK offer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twynne, Oct 25, 2008.

1. twynne macrumors 6502a

There were a couple of threads running during the week about people looking for cases for their MB/MBP. Just thought I'd mention that mymemory.com has a half price sale that includes many of the Lowepro and Crumpler cases - and I think they're all free delivery.

I don't work for them - have just always had good service and thought some of the UK members might be interested. I think £20 for Crumpler bags is ridiculously cheap! :D

2. delude macrumors 6502

Nice, thanks for this :D

I really like the look of the 'Vyper M3' case by Booq, but I don't think that Booq sell anything in the UK :(

3. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Brilliant, thanks very much sir! Been wanting a Crumpler laptop bag for a while, never seen any this cheap before :D

4. delude macrumors 6502

Do you guys think that the 'Boomer' bag will fit the new MacBook Pro 15"? it says 'up to 15.4' but aren't the measurements different now?

I am talking to 'Obed' on the Apple store chat but he doesn't seem to know much...

5. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I was looking at that one too :) The internal laptop pouch on the Boomer Large measures 27x35x4.5cm - the new MacBook Pro measures 24.9x36.4x2.41cm, so technically it's too wide, but the vertical leeway means you might be able to rotate it a bit and fit it in that way.

6. delude macrumors 6502

Ah, that confuses me a bit:eek: I'm not sure if it's worth the risk of buying one, it's a really good price!

7. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Actually, scrap that... I had tabs for both the Boomer Large and Cheesy Disco open, and read those dimensions off the wrong page :eek: For the record, the internal dimensions of the Boomer Large are 38x29x3.5cm. Sorry about that :)

8. FuzzMonkey macrumors newbie

http://www.allmacshop.co.uk/?page=searchresults&brandid=842

Expensive though. The m3 isn't released till next month unfortuntatly. I like the look of the mamba saddle bag. £80 + del :|

9. delude macrumors 6502

Boomer Bag: 38x29x3.5
    MacBook Pro: 36.4x24.9x2.41

Thanks very much for that. I reckon I'll probably just buy a nice bag instead, as those prices are pretty damn steep! I can't believe that £1=$1.59 now!!

10. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Yup, looks like that should fit fine! :)

11. delude macrumors 6502

How 'snug' should a laptop be in a bag? My new MacBook Pro will be the first I have owned, so I am not sure whether space between it and the padding is a good idea or not.

12. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I'll just reply here instead of the PM as well if that's alright :) I've only had the one laptop bag, which I nabbed off my dad - the pouch on that is a bit too snug if anything. I guess it partly depends on what else is going in the bag; if you've got a fat folder in the other compartment the laptop shouldn't be sliding round at all.

I haven't owned a Crumpler before, but I've only ever heard good things about them, and at this price I'm very tempted to buy one just 'cos of the value for money :rolleyes:

If I end up buying it I can always send you some photos with my slightly smaller (Penryn) MBP in, just to see how that looks? At a snip over 20 quid I suppose it's not a big deal if it doesn't fit perfectly, and the OP says he's had good service in the past so hopefully they wouldn't be too snarky about returns.

13. delude macrumors 6502

Thank you very much for your help :) For the reasons you mentioned, I reckon I may just order the Silver/Mouse grey 'Boomer' bag and see, as the price is definitely spot on what I was looking for. If the worst comes to to the worst, then I could always get a sleeve for extra protection and added thickness, so that it would be more 'snug'.

Thanks again for your help :)

14. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

No problem mate, glad I could be of some use for once :D Let me know how it goes!

15. delude macrumors 6502

Will do :D

EDIT: The returns policy sucks on the site, so I am really unsure of what to do. I don't know how long it is going to be before bags are made specifically for the new design, and if there will be any decent ones for the price. I may wait it out a bit and see.

16. FuzzMonkey macrumors newbie

I can't decide on an expensivo booq bag or one of those crumplers in the sale. Much prefer the booq but im just not sure if i can justify the increase expense!

Then again...expensive laptop..expensive bag? :D

17. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

One more thing... :D

Received an order from them this afternoon and inside there was a discount code for 50% more off clearance items - and I notice there are a few laptop bags in the clearance section. Enter 'mmdisc' during checkout.

Happy shopping!

18. delude macrumors 6502

Did you order a bag from this site then? I am still wondering whether to get the £20 Crumpler or not. I love the price, but I need to know how big the front pocket is, and whether I could fit a few chargers etc in there. The 'super boom' crumpler bag can be bought on eBay for £17 more, which has more room and clips as well as velcro.

19. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

No - I didn't even know they sold bags until today. I always get memory cards/usb sticks from them as they seem to have some of the best prices. Delivery is quick as well... I made my order Thursday night (with the free delivery) and it was here today - not bad for free! :)

20. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I'm now undecided between the Boomer and the (£29 more expensive) Cheesy Disco. The Disco's got a removable laptop pouch, and has apparently got thicker padding round the laptop, but I'm just not sure if I'd use it enough to justify the price.

21. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't really comment on the Crumplers as I use a Swissgear myself. One thing I will say about extra/removable laptop sections is that I personally would probably only use it if it were 'drop in' style. If it's the type that you have to take out of the bag and fiddle with to get at your laptop I find it a real hassle and never end up using it. I do think they're useful for longer trips and such, but for daily use a bit fiddly.

Of course everyone is different. :D

22. delude macrumors 6502

Hmm. I've looked at loads of cases now, and I keep thinking 'that's only this much more' and 'this has another pocket' but even if I did spend loads more money, I don't think it would be worth it for me as I still probably couldn't switch to use that as my main sort of bag (if i wanted to put my camera, camcorder, chargers, phone, blah blah) in so it all comes back to the cheap and friendly £20 bag.
    I looked at the 'super' version (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CRUMPLER-SUPE...240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ShippingPayment) and it does seem better but is it really worth that much more? We looked at this thread after all because of the cheap bag, but now we're moving on to the more expensive stuff. I'm really confused now, but I reckon I might play simple and just order the white £20 one.

EDIT: After looking at this picture, I fell that the £20 bag may well be enough. It looks like the front is indeed reinforced, allowing it to bulge if it is over filled but still retain shape without breaking.

[​IMG]

23. FuzzMonkey macrumors newbie

You've got me back on the case, looking at bags now n all! Keep getting drawn back to the booq though. The crumpler bags seem quite over sized, i want something that isn't too much wider than my mbp and not too deep either. The mamba saddle looks ideal, but still.. £80?! Hmmmm

24. delude macrumors 6502

haha. Right, I'm diving in and then logging off before I start to go crazy. I don't know how many hours i have been looking at bags for now, but am buying a Crumpler 'Boomer' bag in Silver/Mouse Grey from mymemory.com

25. y0zza macrumors regular

I've also just ordered the same bag for my new MBP. It's available from Amazon for £22.99 if you prefer a better returns policy.