Laptop Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by R.Youden, Oct 4, 2008.

  1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

    R.Youden

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2005
    #1
    We, I am looking into a new laptop. I currently have a rev. A MacBook Pro, and although it is a good machine it has a number of issues:

    • Get so so hot I can't use it as a laptop for very long
    • It is very 'heavy' relatively speaking
    • The charge only last about an hour, which is pretty crap really!

    So now in the UK we have the 'back-to-school' promotion I thought I would take advantage of it as I graduate in a few months. The idea is to sell the MBP and the "free" iPod to raise some of the cash for the laptop. Anyway I am not 100% sure over which laptop to get. I travel on a fairly regular basis so I can't really see the advantage of another MBP, the only plus is the expresscard slot for fast downloading of photos. I am not bothered about performance (OK, I want something sensible) as I have my MacPro at home for any intensive tasks. So it is down to the MacBook or the MacBook Air, this is the trade-offs between the two:

    MacBook

    Pro's:

    • Cost, I would probably go for the mid range model which is around £700 on education discount
    • No heat issues that I am aware of
    • Good battery life (around 4 hours I think)

    Con's:

    • Is it that much lighter than my MacBook Pro?
    • It is coming towards the end of its product cycle with a new one due very soon

    MacBook Air

    Pro's:

    • Very light, in fact amazingly light
    • Good batter life (4 - 5 hours)
    • Excellent quality screen

    Con's:

    • More expensive than MacBook (around £1100)
    • Some heat issues

    At the moment logically the MacBook looks the way to go. It is a cheaper machine and has more 'features'. However just as I am about to commit to the MacBook I keep looking at the MacBook Air. I am not bothered about lack of USB as I would only need one port at most and that is for downloading from my camera.

    My other concern about the MacBook is the rumoured upgrade in a few weeks. If the upgrade is available on the promo that I think I will jump for that. If not then I will still be in limbo.

    Any sensible and impartial words of advice on here?
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    MacBook

    Cons:
    THEY HAVEN'T BEEN UPDATED IN EIGHT MONTHS.

    Even the Air is due in January. We've heard nothing about anything, but if you need it, get it and be happy.
     
  3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #3
    Get the MB if you need it, wait if you don't. Or, get it now and sell it later when some of the others are updated; MBA is unlikely to be updated for a while. However, refurbs can always be a good buy when updates are issued, as they come with guarantees/warranties, a generous discount and rigorous testing. Wait for the updates and see what best suits you in terms of needs and cost.
    Cheers
     

Share This Page