Laptop Cannot Connect to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JordanLB23, Sep 4, 2016.

1. JordanLB23 macrumors regular

I have a late 2013 MBPr. It has an HDMI port and a display port.

I have been having troubles connecting my MBPr to my TV using an HDMI to HDMI cable. This has always been an issue and I have tried pretty much everything. When I connect it, nothing happens.

I am wondering if I need a displayport to HDMI cable instead like this one? https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-Displa...473057388&sr=8-5&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi

Why is it that the HDMI to HDMI cable does not work?

Is there a difference between a HDMI to HDMI cable vs. a Displayport to HDMI cable?

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

What's the 'issue' that you are mentioning? If you don't tell us then we won't know.

Are you sure that it's not a faulty cable?

3. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

Issue is whenever I connect a HDMI to HDMI cable from TV to my laptop nothing happens. Nothing happens = nothing happens. Nothing happens on my MBP, i've tried detecting displays, nothing happens. Nothing happens on the TV, it simply says no signal. This has happened in 3 different places I lived at on 3 different TVs each with their own HDMI cables.

This leaves me to wonder if I need to use a displayport to HDMI cable? Does HDMI to HDMI not work on MBPr?

I have a tech saavy friend who mentioned something like how I need a thunderbolt adapter or something. Idk, I just want to connect my MBPr to my TV so I can stream shows...

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well your HDMI port might be buggered, so it doesn't work.

Yes you can use a mini display port to HDMI cable in a thunderbolt port.

Something like these adapters or cables

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...layport+to+hdmi&sprefix=Mini+display+,aps,228

5. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-Displa...5491&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+displayport+to+hdmi

This will work? Connect Displayport to laptop, connect HDMI to tv, and it will plug and play?

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yeah that should be great I have been using something very similar since 2010 with a MacBook Pro.

Just a quick check is it a 4K TV??? If so which MacBook Pro do you have?? This may be he source of your problems.

Remember if you have an internet connected TV you may just be able to stream over wifi without any cables.

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Easy bro. I just wanted to get more info. because I had a similar issue with my MBP and the TV would sometimes flicker then says no signal. Since you’ve tried this with 3 different cables and TV then it safe to say that your rMBP’s HDMI port is not working. The cable you shared should work (i.e. I’ve only used display port to HDMI female adaptor while yours is display port to HDMI male cable).

8. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

normally when you connect an HDMI cable from the HDMI port to the HDMI input on a display, doesn't the macbook automatically connect to the TV? Pretty sure it sounds like the port is bad.