Laptop Can't Get Past 99% Calculating Changes in Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spazztichero, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Spazztichero macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2009

To begin with, I am using a WD (Western Digital?) external hard drive that I back up to wirelessly through an Apple wireless router. The hard drive is divided into three sections - one for each of two iMacs and one for my laptop. The iMacs back up automatically, but I manually start Time Machine for my laptop since it is not always on and not always in my home. I am having problems only with the laptop backing up - both iMacs back up to the HD just fine. Also, if it matters here, my laptop's internal HD recently crashed and I got it replaced at the Apple store, and restored it from a backup that did work two weeks ago.

Basically the issue is that I try to initiate Time Machine now with the proper partition opened on the external HD and it reaches 99% after a slow process of "Calculating Changes" and freezes there. This is true wirelessly and if I jack the laptop into the external HD directly with the cord. After several minutes, the fan starts up. After what feels like a pretty long time, it suddenly starts over in "Calculating Changes", reaches 99%, and once again freezes.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I am hesitant to blame it on getting a new HD, but that IS the only major thing that has changed since I last backed up. I am pretty sure it is a software issue since both iMacs back up with no problems.

Thank you for any advice you can give!
  2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    Do you mind losing your version information? Personally, my only interest in Time Machine is having an up-to-date backup of my files. If you're the same, I'd suggest formatting the Time Machine drive and starting over.