Laptop Cases: Looking for a bag like this one...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RobotBanana, Jan 1, 2009.

1. RobotBanana macrumors newbie

RobotBanana

I just got my very first Mac, a new 13" aluminum Macbook, and now it's time to go bag shopping. I've read through a whole bunch of threads on this topic, but none of them were quite as specific as what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a shoulder bag, and the focus is more on productivity and functionality than fashion.

One case that caught my eye was the "Brenthaven ProLite I Case for 13-inch MacBook":
    [​IMG]

First and foremost, I need a case with the most protection and security possible. Ideally the case would fit the laptop perfectly, so it's comfortably suspended in a nice padded space. I'm the type of guy that tries to protect my laptop from getting even a single scratch, even though I know it's bound to happen eventually. :eek: I'd also like the bag to have room for a few accessories (like the power adaptor and a monitor adaptor) and some small books/paper.

The Brenthaven ProLite I is the sort of thing I'm looking for. It looks like the Macbook fits snugly inside, it has little file-folder type things on the back for papers/books, and a pouch on the front for cables and pens and stuff.

I'm not specifically against messenger bags either, but based on what I've seen so far they lack the space that these shoulder bags tend to have. I don't really want any of those sleeves either. I'd rather have just one case I can put everything in before I leave, and take everything out at my destination.

Does anyone know of or recommend any other cases with this style?
    Anyone have any thoughts about the ProLite I?

Thanks.

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

My personnel favorite is the Incase. I love my Incase that holds my MB :D

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I've got one almost identical to this, and love it. Surprisingly roomy, but it's slim enough not to get in the way. Five stars!

4. RobotBanana thread starter macrumors newbie

RobotBanana

I've come across most of those while searching, but I ignored them thinking they'd be too small. Compared to the ProLite 1, they look tiny. Are they big enough to comfortably hold what I mentioned in my first post?

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yes, but if theyre not then just get a 15" or 17" version :)

6. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

I've been eyeing the Brenthaven Prolite I for a while now, but for some reason couldn't make myself pull the trigger.

Then I ran across this WaterField Racer-X bag, and I think I'm leaning towards it. Comes in sizes custom-made for 13", 15", or 17" MBs. Details of the Waterfield here.

And Pic:

[​IMG]

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

ooo the waterfield looks good, its really overpriced though! :p

8. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

This and this would definately keep it safe and give you room to play with.

It's more of a casual look, so it's probably not what your going for.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Mine is, can't comment on the others, but I think they all look deceptively small. I can comfortably fit my laptop, full power cord, kensington lock, and a couple of text books into my bag. It's very versatile - it my was my only bag for all of my first year of Uni. :)

10. RobotBanana thread starter macrumors newbie

RobotBanana

Yeah, I need something a little more professional than that. Thanks though.

The Racer-X looks like a good bag too, although I don't know why it's 70 bucks more! :eek:

11. lappybuy macrumors newbie

12. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

I would goto the apple store and see if they have some in stock, so you can actually feel them.

Incase is awesome :)

13. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I have quite a few number of Brenthaven cases, and I can say that they are the best case in terms of protection for laptops. I have had quite a few drops and mishandling by the TSA officials, but the Brenthaven cases do their job well!

Anything particular you don't like about the ProLite?

14. RobotBanana thread starter macrumors newbie

RobotBanana

Not really, I just wanted to see what my options were before buying one. But so far, it looks like the best option.

Like raj said, I'll have to head down to the Apple Store whenever I get a chance and see one up close.