Laptop Choices

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by igw, Sep 2, 2008.

1. igw macrumors member

Hi there

Currently I have a C2D iMac that is two years old but the problem is I need a laptop for school. I have decided not to get rid of the iMac because it isn't worth the loss of investment. The problem is I don't know whether to get a new MacBook, a refurb MacBook Air or a refurb MacBook Pro. I do do some video work with iMovie as well as recording with Garageband and I have about 9000 photos on iPhoto. What would be the best choice taking into account the price ranges.

Also, is it worth waiting for the new Laptops to come out? I sort of need one for school right now.

Lastly, if I buy a refurb Apple computer, do I still get the iPod rebate and printer rebate.

2. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I'm just going to go ahead and say this since 34567 other people will.
    "If you need it now, buy it. If you don't, wait."

Obviously, you need it now, so buy the current MacBook.
    It's a great machine, and it should last you years.

Notice also, that I said MacBook. Judging from what you told us, a MacBook Pro is WAY to much of an over kill for your needs.

And no, you do not get the iPod and printer rebate while buying a refurb.

I personally am waiting.
    Though I also do not need the computer right now.

3. igw thread starter macrumors member

The thing is, the MacBook Pro has an independent Graphics card so that will allow for faster imaging. I do some intensive stuff but not frequently. Also I use flight sim etc . . . on the windows bootcamp side.

4. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Eh, I don't know how "intensive" the work that you do is, but "some video work with iMovie as well as recording with Garageband and I have about 9000 photos on iPhoto" is SO not a problem with a middle class MacBook. At all.

I don't have much experience with that game, but most likely the MacBook can handle it.

There isn't MUCH that the MacBook can't do for the average user such as yourself.

EDIT: Plus, with the money you save, you can get a 23in ACD from Apple!
    How sweet would your game look on THAT! I can promise you that it's going to look better than playing it on the MacBook Pro screen. ;)
    Ha.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you decide to go for a MB, consider the *refurb* MB (you mentioned refurb air and pro, but not MB). Add aftermarket RAM and save a ton.

I agree than an external monitor is divine and it's a great suggestion. Might be hard to rationalize with the iMac sitting there, tho.

I'd be in your camp on the MBP choice because of the graphics card. I made the decision to go with the pro for that reason myself. And I like the larger screen when I'm on the go.

6. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

well if u need it at school, i recommend macbook pro.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Nothing you will do will use the dedicated graphics card of the MBP. The MacBook is a good computer, pretty much a MacBook Pro without the dedicated GPU and slightly larger screen. A MacBook would suit you well seeing as you already have an iMac for a larger stationary machine you don't really need the added boost of the MBP.

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

A Macbook would be fine. Those things mentioned don't really use a GPU extensively anyway. I would wait until Sept 9th just to see what is announced.

9. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That makes no sense at all.

For what you do a Macbook is more than enough. If you are trying to justify getting a Pro, don't. It is your money to waste. Buy it.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. Go for the MBP if you need the graphics card, or if an excellent screen is absolutely vital for your needs, otherwise, for what you have said are your requirements, I'd recommend the MB. That said, I have a MBP myself, and love it, but it is my only computer. Wait until the announced updates in Sept/Oct before making a final decision.
    Cheers and good luck