Laptop cooling pads

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toxthexnines, Mar 12, 2008.

1. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

I'm looking into getting a laptop cooling pad, my mbp has been hot since i bought it August of 06. The heat isnt too bad, nothing that bothers me that bad. My dad offered to buy me one if i wanted to and i figured it wouldn't hurt.

So long story short, what kind would you guys recommend? Nothing too fancy or expensive ($20-35ish) range, and i have a 17' MBP.

2. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

well I do not know either but do not buy one from bestbuy they suck they sound very loud.

3. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Check out this one from Newegg. I got the Coolermaster one from the same store, also using 17" MBP, however I would not recommend it as it doesn't make any difference when on or off as far as cooling.

4. KevinAKC macrumors newbie

Have a look at these - http://www.xpad4laptop.com/

I read a supertest of laptop cooling pads a while ago and this one won overall in terms of temperature drop, even though it doesn't have any fans (sadly I can't remember where I read this supertest). Also, it doesn't take up a USB socket for power. I've been using it on my 12" PowerBook with the lid closed and it does a very good job.

One thing you might want to check first though is whether it'll be large enough for your 17" MBP - I think on their website it says that it doesn't need the laptop's little rubber feet to be on the pad so it should still be fine.