Laptop cooling pads

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mindcrime13, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Mindcrime13 macrumors member

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

First, please don't bump, it's a violation of Forum rules. It may take more than an hour or two before anyone answers, assuming they have an answer.

130F is absolutely fine. You've got a way to go before you can consider it running hot. Just don't block the ventilation, you generally don't need to do anything other than raise the rear a little bit to let air flow under the bottom.

3. buzzfgo macrumors member

buzzfgo

I have one of the new mbp and man it does get hot. I bought a pad and it really cooled off the bottom. Dropped the temps a little. What will really cool it down though is a little program called smcFanControl. My left hand no longer gets hot at all. :)

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Cooling pads are a waste of cash. They do nothing.

5. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

Just get an iLap (or similar device) to keep the "notebook" from burning your legs if you're using it as a "laptop". Yes, there's a distinction between those two terms :)

As for cooling pads; they're crap. And if you get one that blocks ventilation (like somebody in my office did with their Acer notebook), it'll raise the temps to dangerous levels and start frying chips (like that user's RAM modules).

6. nlpamg macrumors member

I have the Antec cooling pad and it does wonders for my ThinkPad. I thought they were a waste at first, but my computer does run cooler and it gives it added protection if I leave it on the carpet or what not.

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I bought xpad4laptops to keep my lap from getting burned. It has a gap to promote airflow.

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Granted it seems like a great product for using a laptop...on your lap, due to the insulation. My question is, does it actually function in cooling down the run temperature of the computer itself?

9. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

just use it as is. apple designed it and there is no need for a pad or a fan control program unless you want it to be loud.

10. a4abt macrumors regular

I'm using a Targus cooling pad I bought from Best Buy. It's a little noisy, but creates a nice airflow.

11. snake101st macrumors regular

Fixed.

12. Dan Lorth macrumors member

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

130F isn't hot. And that PC Card cooler looks like crap and probably performs the same (which brings the point, why this isn't bus powered if it's slides into the PC Cards slot??? :confused:)