Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
I'm just an ameture artist. But here is a design I made for a laptop computer. Tell what ya think. The design focuses of Sharp corners rather than rounded ones.
388386_2940773002334_1351456150_3142613_1944200596_n.jpg

cheers:)

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'm just an ameture artist. But here is a design I made for a laptop computer. Tell what ya think. The design focuses of Sharp corners rather than rounded ones.
cheers:)

That design actually reminds me of Alienware. The appeal of rounded designs is that they offer comfort. A sharp design, while it may look cool, would be impractical, space wasting, and uncomfortable.

I'm not meaning to crap on your designs, I'm sure a sharp case could be good if done well

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
That design actually reminds me of Alienware. The appeal of rounded designs is that they offer comfort. A sharp design, while it may look cool, would be impractical, space wasting, and uncomfortable.

I'm not meaning to crap on your designs, I'm sure a sharp case could be good if done well
Well criticism is a good thing. So actually I thank you. There are other products with sharper edges, it wouldn't be sharp to the point of being able to cut something it would just be sharper than average. Those rounded corners get kinda boring and the sharper corners offer more space to put stuff..

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Sharp design angles are the signature style of Lamborghini exotic cars. A style I find very good looking.

It also reminds me of the sharp edge and sharp points on the palm rest, near the relief on the front edge, where one places a finger to open the lid on their MBP. I understand why Apple left it that way, yet they could have rounded the edge off just a bit and it would be so much nicer.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Well criticism is a good thing. So actually I thank you. There are other products with sharper edges, it wouldn't be sharp to the point of being able to cut something it would just be sharper than average. Those rounded corners get kinda boring and the sharper corners offer more space to put stuff..

I know what you mean about rounded edges being boring. I think your sketch might just have the edges a bit sharp. Maybe aim for a flatter style.

Sharp design angles are the signature style of Lamborghini exotic cars. A style I find very good looking.

It also reminds me of the sharp edge and sharp points on the palm rest, near the relief on the front edge, where one places a finger to open the lid on their MBP. I understand why Apple left it that way, yet they could have rounded the edge off just a bit and it would be so much nicer.

I know what you mean about the Lamborghini design. The have always had magnificent design, but it's a style that can be hard to apply to other products because it's built around the mechanics of a car.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
I know what you mean about rounded edges being boring. I think your sketch might just have the edges a bit sharp. Maybe aim for a flatter style.

I know what you mean about the Lamborghini design. The have always had magnificent design, but it's a style that can be hard to apply to other products because it's built around the mechanics of a car.

Well it is an early sketch. So the final design would be flatter. But the idea of sharper corners rather than rounded ones will remain in the final design.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Well it is an early sketch. So the final design would be flatter. But the idea of sharper corners rather than rounded ones will remain in the final design.

Ok, well if u have any more sketches be sure to update this thread, I'll try offer some helpful comments if I can.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California

Very true.

As much as I _really_ like the style of my 15" 2010 MBP, it's the style of my 13" MBA that I'm completely thrilled with. If I were designing a laptop, I'd make it exactly like Apple's newest MBA's. When I first set eyes on it I was so amazed at how it was just exactly the style I prefer.

There's no such thing as a perfect laptop or smartphone, I've owned so many. Yet for me, my MBA comes closer than any other laptop I've purchased, and I've purchased more than I care to admit. :D

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
ok I have another picture I also want to redesign the trackpad.
so here are some pictures

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Crude drawing but you get the basic idea. On another note I didn't realize this design looks like the Macbook air (other than the teardrop shape), I though this design was much sharper and boxier.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
ok I have another picture I also want to redesign the trackpad.
so here are some pictures
[url=http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2793/trackpad.png]Image[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Crude drawing but you get the basic idea. On another note I didn't realize this design looks like the Macbook air (other than the teardrop shape), I though this design was much sharper and boxier.

The trackpad seems a little awkward to use or at least take some time to get used to. As for your laptop design, it does look a lot like a Sharper, sleeker, boxier MacBook Air.

I'd buy it.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I could use that last one as a weapon and stab someone's eye out

You need a CAD program seriously. It looks like you drew those in Kidpix

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.