Laptop Died - Date Incorrect and Various Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Melodeath, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I was watching a video on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro for an hour. The video ended and I closed Quicktime and walked away for about 30 minutes. When I came back, the laptop was unresponsive. I assume the battery died, though it seems it died very quickly.

I plugged the computer in, and it turned on by itself. It "resumed" where it left off, but Firefox had closed itself, it was asking me to select a wireless network (it never asks me this - it always connects to my home network automatically) and the system date said Dec 31, 2000.

I restarted the computer hoping maybe that would return things to normal. When it turned on, it warned me that the date was set prior to 2008, which may cause certain applications to act erratically. I manually connected to my wireless router and typed in the password - which I never had to do. It forgot the password (why?). Then the date automatically got set.

I started up firefox, but the Session manager said the session window data was corrupt due to an illegal character. I've never seen this message before. So firefox couldn't remember my last session, but it remembers my browser history.

Is this normal behavior when the battery dies?

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Not at all. There is a bigger hardware/software issue. Run a hardware test using your CD's and make sure everything is running correctly. After that, run a permissions test and hard drive verification from another mac or your CD's.

3. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do have a time Machine back up from 8:08pm. I started watching the video at about 8:35 pm, and I noticed the computer lifeless at 10pm. The battery was indeed on 2% when it started back up, so I'm fairly certain the computer went into some sort of hibernate mode.

I've considered doing a restore from 8:08pm but I've never done one before and am nervous about that, especially if it wont solve the issue.

I also noticed a virtual dongle I have for certain software stopped working after this event.

I will call Apple tomorrow. The computer is exactly 1 year old and I just purchased Apple Care. Strange.