Laptop Died, What Now For My iPhone and Pad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wrkactjob, Mar 9, 2012.

1. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Got home from work to see a blue screen of death with hysterical messages about Hardware Failure on my Dell ( yeah I know sorry) laptop.

I will try to reinstall Windows 7 tonight but what future is there now for my phone and pad?....

I guess I will have to reinstall iTunes from fresh.....have I lost everything? :eek:

2. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Well, if you don't have a backup of your laptop ... (tut tut!).

Options....

a. Turn on 'Back up to iCloud' on your iDevices - this should store all your lovely content at Apple & you should get it back if you ever wipe it

b. Don't touch your crashed Dell disk. Instead, get a new (bigger?) hard disk + an enclosure. Put the new disk in your Dell & install to that. Put your old disk in the enclosure & recover your data to the new disk (including your iTunes liibrary). Now use the old disk + enclosure as your backup drive.
    Or you could sign up to an online backup solution like DropBox 50GB, SpiderOak, Mozy, Carbonite - possibly as well as having a backup drive at home ... one backs up fast, the other backs up off site ...

Good luck!

Oh, and buy a Mac ;-)

3. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Hmmm yes since buying my wife a Macbook Air for Christmas I have been thinking of converting...

If I take option a) and back up to iCloud will it save everything thats on my two devices (identical data)? Ie all music photos films and apps or just certain things?

I think that there is third party software that will download everything from you i device to a new blank version of iTunes but have never used it.