Laptop Drive questions:

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by waloshin, Apr 29, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Just got my Aluminum Macbook with the Hitachi 5400 rpm drive 250gb. I have bought a Hitachi 7200 8mb cache laptop drive about a month ago. Should I put the 7200 rpm in my Macbook and the Macbooks drive in an external exclosure for timemachine. And what is the cache in the Hitachi 5400 found in the Macbook?

2. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Might as well pop the 7200RPM drive in the Macbook :). You'll have to figure out how you want to transfer your data though. You can either do a clean install of OS X and backup your files manually or just use something like Super Duper to clone your current 5400RPM drive to the 7200RPM drive (there's a nice step-by-step guide you can google). With the 7200RPM drive your PC may seem "snappier" when opening programs/files and booting up/shutdown. Depending on the model it may be "noisier" though in the form of vibrations. And battery life may suffer a tiny bit if that matters to you.

3. Chipskip macrumors member

you can also just use Disk Utility to clone the drive over. I did that with a USB external case and it took about 2 hrs.... very easy.