Laptop for Business Student at University

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by StefMcIntosh, Jun 11, 2015.

?

Which laptop should I buy?

1. 13" MBPr

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. 15" MBPr

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Windows PC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StefMcIntosh macrumors newbie

I'll be heading off to school in the fall and am looking to get a new laptop since my midrange Windows PC from 2008 is quite outdated. I had really wanted a Mac for a while now, the OSX connectivity to my iPhone and build quality/styling were major factors in this draw. However, the school I'm attending suggests that for business students it is easier to be on PC than Mac. I will have to run some PC only programs so I will run a VM such as Parallels if I do end up getting the Mac. Would you say that this slows down performance substantially? Also should I get the 15" model MBPr since it offers better performance?

2. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

I'm currently finishing up an MBA. Half of my class is using OS X. I've only had to use parallels for Access and Excel with the analysis toolpack. The latter item is addressed in the new Office for Mac 2016. Sometimes, business courses have Windows simulations or require specific statistic software available on Windows such as Minitab. I run Stata on my Mac and have a lot of experience in stats but it's sometimes easier to follow exercises on the platform everyone else is using. Other than that, I wouldn't pay much attention to what they say.

I'm using a MBA with 8Gb RAM and the 1.7 i7. The rMBP is overkill. My MBA runs Windows fine and the weight savings are well worth hit.

3. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Everything depends on your budget and size you want. Any mac is enough for what you are asking.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I suppose a Windows notebook (gasp) would better suit you. Having a Mac that is dual-booted or running Parallels in a Windows environment may get you hit with rotten tomatoes.

But in all seriousness, it seems redundant, unless you really want to prioritize syncing your phone over getting a notebook that is more geared toward what you will be learning and using.

I hope I don't get flamed, but some pretty solid business laptops can be had from Dell or Lenovo for less than a Mac.

5. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Dell XPS 13 or the asus zenbook, excellent windows Laptops.