laptop for business use and mac newbie - recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by musicismypill, Jul 7, 2008.

1. musicismypill macrumors newbie

Hi

What a terrific site/forum I have searched long and hard and gained a lot of knowledge from here.

I have recently been given the task of hunting out a laptop for my dad.

In his office they currently have an aluminium iMac 2.0GHZ running leopard and a time capsule 500GB both are terrific so naturally I want to get him a mac laptop.

He has almost never used a computer at all :eek: but ultimately he will end up using office 2004/2008, safari, iphoto. I can't see him ever doing any cpu/gpu intensive stuff other than maybe light photo work but he is also very interested in a pro model. I can see him getting frustrated with a 13" glossy screen. Also a macbook with an external display would not be a good solution as the constant unplugging etc would bug him.

I have narrowed it down to the following options (I have converted our local New Zealand prices incl education discount to USD for comparison)

NEW MBP 15" 2.4GHZ $2190
    REFURB MBP 15" 2.4GHZ $1900
    NEW MB (black) 2.4GHZ $1800
    REFURB MB (white) 2.4GHZ $1200
    USED PB G4 1.67GHZ $750-850

He is concerned about buying a used laptop so are powerbooks generally reliable?

At the moment I am leaning towards either the refurbished MBP or the 17" PB.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. :D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Given your criteria, I'd recommend the refurb MBP. You can get it under warranty and buy AppleCare for it, which could come in handy if he's not a power user or used to the "care and feeding" of a notebook.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I clicked-in to say the 1.8GHz MBA?! If this is not a viable option I would suggest a 'Refurbished' product.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the OP's criteria:

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

If there is an issue with the screen then go Refurb MBP. Otherwise a regular MacBook is just fine... Take your dad into a store if possible and have him test out the screen to see if it would bother him or not.

6. musicismypill thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.

ntrigue - I had considered the MBA but the screen and price don't really justify it in this situation. Although they are a wonderful machine in the flesh:)

I think I will drag him down to a reseller to have a play. Looks like refurbished MBP is the way to go.