Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jteezy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I need some advice on what laptop to get for next year. I am between a 13 inch and 15 inch macbook pro. I already have an iPad and am planning on getting a macbook pro for college. I am thinking that the iPad is portable so it would be really good for note taking (I bought a stylus) and for having books on it. Since I have that I am not sure weather to go with the 13 or 15 mbp. Since my iPad will be like a portable computer, I don't feel the need for more portability, but I also don't feel the need for a big 15 inch screen. I also could probably sell my iPad on ebay for a good price. If I did that is the 15 too heavy to carry around? HELP!!!!!!! :apple::apple::apple:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I think the 15" is only a pound heavier than the 13". I have always found at University the use of a large screen makes it so much easier to do assignments - having a word processor and pdf's next to each other is a godsend.

Raje

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Have you considered an iMac or other desktop since you already have a portable solution?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Writing a term paper on an iPad is not going to be something I'd recommend. You can't bring your iMac to the library.

Agreed. Sometimes you need the piece and quite of the library to complete work. For that reason a laptop is always good.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
If you aren't sure, just wait until you get there. There aren't many, if any, colleges left that don't have way more than ample computer labs. The thing you need more than a portable computer is a flash drive. Leave the computer in the dorm. Take the data.

rlav

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
I have the 13" white macbook from 2 or 3 generations ago. I think the size is great as it is lighter than most of my textbooks. Something else to consider is your major, if you are doing CS or engineering you might need programs that are not available for the iPad, in which case you will have to carry the MBP with you whether it is to the library or class. Size wise though, you will get used to the screen no matter what choice you make. I personally like the lightweight of the 13".

A last piece of advice, don't bring a computer or iPad to a class unless you need the computer for the class or are using the computer only for notes (which you seem to want to do on a computer). The internet can be distracting, you will get more out of the class with less distractions. You will see that once you get past freshmen year the amount of laptops in class goes down as people realize this.

Apple-Man23

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
USA
15" mbp. you'll appreciate the screen real estate.

don't get an iMac...an iPad is great for note taking but in college there are times when you need the power and portability of a laptop so you can use it in many different places.

Small rant: these threads are tiring...you're situation is really no different than the countless others who have already posted asking the same questions. If you search the forums and take the time to read what others have already asked you will find your answer.

Apple-Man23

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
USA
A last piece of advice, don't bring a computer or iPad to a class unless you need the computer for the class or are using the computer only for notes (which you seem to want to do on a computer). The internet can be distracting, you will get more out of the class with less distractions. You will see that once you get past freshmen year the amount of laptops in class goes down as people realize this.

Very true...but sometimes without the distractions of the internet class certain profs/classes can be unbearable lol :D

jteezy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I was thinking that I might get a 15 inch mbp and use my iPad to buy books, take notes, etc...

Apple-Man23

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
USA
I was thinking that I might get a 15 inch mbp and use my iPad to buy books, take notes, etc...

Smart plan. I have a 15" mbp now and it's the perfect size. Big enough to give you legit screen real estate and small enough to be take to class, library, etc. I am also thinking about getting an iPad for next year. I can already see how convenient it would be to have a small ultra portable machine to take to class for notes or to check emails on the go! Best of luck with your decision, I think you are on the right track!

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan

I think it depends on the person, really. You have a valid point about the Internet being a distraction, so just turn off your wireless connection. For me, having a laptop in class is invaluable. I am able to record MP3's of the lecture, type notes, follow along with their PowerPoint presentations, etc. That said, a 13 inch MBP would be the ideal size for lecture halls. Those tiny seats and desks aren't good for much. You may be able to get away with a 15 inch, but that is pushing it. It all depends on your college and how they have lecture halls set up. I had a plastic 13 inch MacBook through my undergrad, an aluminum 13 inch through my masters, and only now am I looking to get a bigger MacBook for my Ph.D work. I am eyeing the 17 inch anti-glare. However, I have always had a desktop computer sitting back at home. The first half of my undergrad I had a G5 with 2x 19 inch Dell screens, sold that off for a 20 inch iMac that I still have.

dunbar.will

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
Very true...but sometimes without the distractions of the internet class certain profs/classes can be unbearable lol :D

Yes, but also distracting to the people around you. If you care about those things. I look around a classroom and see nothing but facebook, and get distracted. If you do the math and figure out what you pay per class... just listen to the professor.

And, as for the size... my vote for 15". Real estate is your friend.

Apple-Man23

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
USA
Yes, but also distracting to the people around you. If you care about those things. I look around a classroom and see nothing but facebook, and get distracted. If you do the math and figure out what you pay per class... just listen to the professor.

And, as for the size... my vote for 15". Real estate is your friend.

Very true...I hardly ever bring my computer to class (and especially not classes in my major) for exactly that reason but there are some times when it's good to have.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
One other note. In all but one of my five classes, laptops are banned from use to take notes with. Professors realize the distraction. Now, I'm at a school where classes are generally under 30 and everyone on campus is given a laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.