Laptop for Computer Science and Web Design

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swarley, Jul 31, 2014.

1. swarley macrumors newbie

I know this type of thread is up every other day around here but they are a little different from my use case. A little bit about my uses... I've recently switched my major in college and my previous MBA could use an upgrade. I will be studying computer science and digital media, with the intention on focusing in web design/development. I am not concerned with the computer science aspect as pretty much any laptop within Apple's range is can handle it. I'm more concerned with the digital media aspect, specifically photo and video editing within the program. I can't image the editing would be too strenuous but having little experience I am not sure the resources in a computer needed.

As of now I am open to anything except the base 13in in the rMBP range (need more than 128GB SSD) all the way to maxed out 15in (although admittedly I would rather not unless necessary. More on this, I am more worried about editing outside of class that may come up and the only reason I would consider the maxed 15in would be for the dedicated GPU). Also I am open to a refurb and would prefer it to be a late 2013 model (for the increased battery) but that is not a deal breaker.

I guess my questions would be:
    1) Do I really need a dGPU for my uses?
    2) How big of a downgrade is the 650M compared to the 750M (and has there been any reports of GPU failure like previous MBPs)?
    3) Could I get away with a dual core CPU for minor to intermediate editing and coding or would I benefit from a quad core?
    4) Why did you choose your size screen? Do you wish you went with the other option?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated and if you recommend a refurb, please feel free to link to the exact model. Thanks in advance!

2. tagy macrumors regular

1) Do I really need a dGPU for my uses?
    Nope.

2) How big of a downgrade is the 650M compared to the 750M (and has there been any reports of GPU failure like previous MBPs)?
    Hardly any, almost the same.

3) Could I get away with a dual core CPU for minor to intermediate editing and coding or would I benefit from a quad core?
    Dual core is fine.

4) Why did you choose your size screen? Do you wish you went with the other option?
    I got 15", but 13" always seemed too cramped to me.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

listen to tagy, thats all great advice.
    The screen size is a matter of personal preference.

4. swarley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. Looks like I'm going to go with a refurb, this one in particular: http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-24ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display

5. Erphern macrumors 6502

Looks alright. For web design / dev, 15" is more important than anything else (unless you have an external display).

You can always buy more storage on iCloud Drive when Apple officially launches that.