Laptop for music production

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hanrattycom, Sep 7, 2015.

1. hanrattycom macrumors newbie

Hello, and thank you for entertaining my "which mac should I buy" query.

I want to use my new mac laptop for digital audio. I plan to buy Logic Pro X, as well as some VST instruments that I already have: Reaktor, Numerology. I do not really use external music gear, so everything will be coming from the computer. Which laptop would be best for me? I was thinking the 13" MBP would be best, but then maybe the 15" is better because the screen is bigger. How much RAM is sufficient? I'd especially be interested to know the opinions of people who already use Logic.

2. QuarterSwede, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It really depends on what you'll be doing with the audio.

If you're doing a lot of multitrack work then the more RAM the better (16GB if you can).

If you're doing a lot of digital effects processing then an i7 is probably the route to go.

It sounds like you'll be creating MIDI type music?

I do work (live audio production > multitrack > exporting audio) in Presonus' app suite (and some other apps) on a 2013 i7 iMac with a 1TB Fusion drive (because that's what I was given to use) and some work at home (multitrack editing > exporting) on an old 07 white MB on the same app suite. They both do the job, the iMac is just a ton faster when converting and exporting. ;)

3. hanrattycom thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm making techno music, which can be quite simple or very complex with both multi tracking and digital effects processing. I'd like the ability to be very complex even if I don't always use the full capacity.