Laptop Freezes CONSTANTLY

christophriv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
NYC
Model: MacBook Pro 15' Mid 2014, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Memory, 500GB flash storage

I took the laptop to the apple store today and after they ran their diagnostics, they determined the hardware was still good.

The genius suggested I update my software, which I did to the latest Mojave software, and yet the problem still persists.

Regularly, the laptop freezes onto a rolling color-wheel, where the cursor moves, but I'm unable to do anything as everything else is frozen. Sometimes I manually restart the laptop and a blinking folder with a question mark appears. I also noticed the laptop has been over heating during these moments. I watch a lot of YouTube videos, and this may be the primary time when this issue occurs, but the issue is consistent when simply just using the laptop in general.

Any ideas of what could be wrong? I really appreciate any help!

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
At 16gb ram of memory, and just YouTube running, you shouldn’t have those kinds of issues.

To further help, let me ask the following:

What browser are you using?

Are you using browser extension(s) such as Adblock or other 3rd party extensions?

Also, like @Audit13 and others have said, check your Activity Monitor to see what activities are eating up your CPU and RAM.

Reactions: Audit13