laptop heats up after waking up from deep sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kevinf1990, Feb 8, 2012.

1. kevinf1990 macrumors member

I recently noticed that i have the deep sleep problme that some people here have talked about. I reproduce this by allowing the laptop to go to deep sleep, plug in the charger and wake the laptop up. the laptop will start to heat up even without doing anything. the thread that i found regarding this issue was from december and there was no solution. will there be an update that fixes this problem? is anyone else having this issue?

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you wake it up, it is doing something, so it's normal that heat will rise. Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps.

3. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i understand that but this temp increase doesn't happen if i wake it up without plugging it in or wake it up from normal sleep. it will start to rise from 50 slowly to 90 degrees with 0 cpu utilization.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only time you have zero CPU utilization is when it's asleep or powered off. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources. Also, look at the System Memory tab at the bottom and see what it shows for page outs.

5. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't believe everything you see posted in a forum, unless you know the poster is credible or you can verify what's posted from other sources. You don't need to disable standby mode. The process of writing the sleepimage back to RAM won't cause your Mac temps to climb to extreme levels for any extended period of time. It only takes a few seconds to recover from standby mode.

Did you install iStat Pro to get accurate temp readings? And how long are the temps sustained? You also didn't respond about page outs.

7. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

yes i did install istat pro that's how i got the temp readings. i will take a look at page outs the next time i encounter it again. but the high temps have sustained for as long as a few minutes. didn't exactly pay attention to the time

8. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

so i just recreated the problem and i saw 0 bytes (0 bytes/sec) on page outs and the high temperature (this time around 85 degrees) has sustained for at least 3 minutes

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So how is that a problem? That's well within the normal temperature range for your Mac. Your Mac is not overheating. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor).

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks. The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

10. warfed macrumors regular

This is NOT normal. If you haven't experienced the problem you have no idea. The laptop can sit there, do absolutely nothing and fan will be at 6K RPM and heat over 85C.

Everyone understands that the Air can get hot when used. But the deep sleep bug produces heat and noise for no reason. It is very easy to recreate, it doesn't happen at random, so don't brush it off as normal temperature range.

11. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

Can you please give me an explanation as to why it would go up to 80+ degreea when I am just waking out of sleep when my idle temperatures are usually in the 50s then. As I said before I wasn't doing anything intensive. I understand that it is well within operating specs but going up this high when my idle temp is usually 50 is not normal.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it only goes that high for a few minutes, why worry about it? Your Mac knows how to manage temperatures and fans without you doing anything.

13. warfed macrumors regular

It isn't for a few minutes. It doesn't cool down until you either restart the computer or put it to sleep and wake it up.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not what the OP said:

15. warfed macrumors regular

The OP also doesn't mention if it started to cool after 3 minutes or if he restarted after 3 minutes. I have let my computer run for 20 minutes until I didn't feel like torturing it anymore. And whenever I read about the bug people have said that only restarting helps.

So far the only way to fix it is to disable hibernate. Or wake the computer unplugged and plug it in shortly after.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried resetting the SMC?

17. warfed macrumors regular

Yep, even took it to a genius. He was able to reproduce the problem and it even failed the diagnostics. Air went in for service, got a new logic board and I/O board. After service diagnostics ran fine. Update to newest EFI, the deep sleep bug returns.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's reproducible exactly as you describe, it sounds like a problem with the EFI update. Have you tried skipping that update?

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

To the OP, I've had your exact problem, a work around for this is to wake the computer up from sleep, and then plug in the power cord.

GGJ Studios, I love what you do, but you're not listening to the full story; this is an isolated issue. With Web chrome, twitter, and textedit open, my CPU has ~6-8% usage at around 44 degrees. Plugged in normally, the CPU temp is around 50 degrees with these same programs open.

This problem occurs as the OP said, at 99% (or this 92-94% idle) the CPU temp rises to 85-90C very quickly (not normal at all), and the only solution to rectify it is to restart the computer. Again this issue only happens if the computer is "awoken" from deep sleep with the power cord plugged in. Resetting the SMC doesn't help as I've tried that before.

EDIT: Ah someone beat me to this

20. warfed macrumors regular

Well I can't undo the EFI update. So I'm stuck with it until a new come out. But who knows if apple will fix it since most people say Apple doesn't see this as a problem. The only reason the genius helped me is because it also failed diagnostics, which doesn't always happen with the bug AFAIK.

And yeah, the general consensus when the bug first appeared was that it came after the latest EFI update.

Have you tried to reproduce it? Here is what you do:
    Unplug the laptop and close the lid. Let it sleep for about 90 minutes. After 90 minutes plug the laptop into the wall and then open the lid. Monitor your temps. If the bug exists in your system the temperatures will rise slowly to over 80C with even the slightest use. It doesn't heat up instantly, it does it gradually.

21. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    still under warranty??

22. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i have yet to let it sit while heating up to see if it cools down yet. The first time it happened i restarted to reset the smc. the second time i just put it back to sleep and wake it upt again and it' doesn't happen anymore. It definitely lasts more then 3 minutes though. I've let it sit for 10 minutes and it still doesn't cool down. but i guess the only solutions is to just remember to plug it in AFTER waking it up.

23. Duckduckair macrumors newbie

I just want to let you guys know that I received a replacement from Apple a couple of weeks ago. A MBA 2014 i7.

I had a 2011 Macbook Air i7 11". Under only one month the motherboard was replaced, the SSD was replaced, the I/O board was replaced, the heatsink and fan was replaced, even the trackpad... nothing solved the issue.

It was hard to replicate the problem, more than a month repairing, bringing in and out of the workshop, only a couple of times the techs were able to do it. At home I replicated the problem every time nevertheless. It was rather annoying, about 7 times in a month I had to go this small Apple workshop.

The issue wasn't hardware related, it has to do with the OS and some of its EFI updates. The charger has nothing to do with it, I even had a brand new one.

I had Apple Care and was about to expire, made some phone calls to Apple, someone took care of my case, I had to kindly explain that it was not the hardware, rather OS related. A couple of days had gone by, heard nothing from Apple, made a phone call again explainig the frustrating experience and that no matter what they replaced, the issue was there.

That solution about disconnecting the power adapter, waking up the computer and plugging it in a couple of minutes later or shutting off Safesleep isn't really acceptable if you paid that much money. That kind of "BETA" testers' work can go to Apple and it's their thing if they want to find out about bugs and how to bypass them, etc etc. It isn't "us" as users that pay a rather high price for a laptop who should resolve this.