Laptop help? (Maybe netbook)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pranavss11, Apr 24, 2009.

1. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Hello,

My gf's birthday is coming up and I was looking for a small laptop for her so that she can carry it around (preferrably a netbook as she loves those tiny things). She only uses her desktop computer for surfing the internet, some word editing, watching movies, listening to music and chatting with her friends.

I am new to this whole netbook thing and was hoping some experts could set me up with the perfect netbook for her. I also don't want to go over the top with my spending as I just got my hours cut at work (and I don't want to have to ask my dad to pay for my girlfriend's gift; he's already paying my college fees).

Thanks
    -P

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

MSI Wind? From what I've heard, it's a really nice netbook, and it's also pretty easy to put Mac OS X on it.

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I agree.

I agree. You WILL want to install OSX on it though.

4. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ofcourse. I'll take a look at it thanks. I dunno if it's against the rules, but can anyone point me to a guide to install OSX on it?

EDIT: Nm got it on google xD.

Anyone else have any other recommendations?

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Don't get an Eee. It sucked.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

? I love the eee. I like it lots better then the wind. I own three.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if OSX isn't a priority, I'd go with the ASUS eeePC1000HE model at only $389 = ~9.5 hours of battery without wireless/BT on and still ~6 hours with it on...

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd suggest a lenovo ideapad s10 for a couple of reasons:

1. Better build quality than the wind. It looks and feels like the baby brother to the ibm thinkpad, which it is. Compact and solid.

2. One of the best keyboards on a netbook. The only one with a better keyboard is the HP mini one, and it's harder to convert and doesn't have all the features of the lenovo hackintosh.

Having said that, I think a late model 12" g4 ibook or powerbook is a better choice for everyday usage if you can find a good deal on one and then max the ram out to 1.25 gigs. Great form factor, blue tooth, better touchpad with scrolling, better keypad, and a more usable screen. The 10" widescreen is too shallow for my taste, it seems like I always had to constantly scroll down on the netbooks.

Boing boing has a good netbook hackintosh guide that compares the functions of the best machines and direct links to webpages and how to forums for each model.

If you do hackintosh a netbook, the apple sticker that comes with an ipod is the perfect size to put on your lid.

9. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem here is that it is a birthday gift and I do not want to buy a used ibook/powerbook for her (and was going to hackintosh it after she opened it, if she wanted me to). Thank you all for your suggestions I am currently looking into all those netbooks.

10. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

In terms of looks and "sexiness," the HP Mini is awesome. Just realize that netbooks are NOT fast. This doesn't mean that they're not usable, however. I've had mine 2 months and hardly use it - but then again, I already had the Macbook, so I didn't really need the netbook.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

And it has, hands down (get it?) the best keyboard for a netbook.