Laptop help - purchasing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by decdec8, Aug 28, 2013.

1. decdec8 macrumors newbie

Hi I am a first time laptop buyer. I have gotten hammy downs all my life and now I am in the market for a new laptop. The reason I have not purchased a new laptop is because I am waiting on the macbook pros.
    here are my requirements:
    -13 inches or bigger
    -a nice screen mainly for netfix
    -something powerful enough to handle basic to mid level app programming
    -hopefully an i7 processor <- for gaming mainly but I am not a huge gammer, mainly a little minecraft
    -windows 7 or mountain lion if i get a laptop with windows 8 I will probably switch to linux
    - i have just around 2000
    -i need the laptop by late october

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wouldn't get hung up on i5 vs i7. It's virtually meaningless. As for the other stuff, if you want a 15" below 2000, I suggest looking at refurbished options. The general consensus on here seems to be that many of them are due to returns.

3. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

+1

This is a great option. I purchased one, and it is gorgeous. Haven't had any problems with mine, and haven't had any issues with the screen or anything really. Just a wonderful machine and a solid buy in my opinion. If you were to get the 13" I'd just wait until the Haswell refresh.

Plus, the extra screen real estate of the 15", coupled with resolution scaling, should be a boon to your programming since your usable screen space will be increased.

4. revalationist macrumors member

How long have you waited? A day?

Just wait until it's a few years after purchase, I say typing on my mac, as the screen wobbles, and I pushes the exposed wires in the charger lead away in fear of electrocution.

As for OP

Macs are not good for gaming. Very few have dedicated graphics and Minecraft does not run well on them. You could build a dream PC for the price of a mac with an i7 over 3ghz (macs more like 2.3) and a GTX 7xx series

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's a gross oversimplification parroted quite a bit. It really depends on the game(s) and the Mac. Many do game on their Macs.

6. revalationist macrumors member

In this example, Minecraft, having tried it I can say you will likely not be very happy.

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Tighten the hinge screws (about 5 minutes with $5 worth of tools), and buy a new charger. Done.

8. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

lol hammy downs!

on topic:

I would go for a refurbished rMBP or refurbished cMBP (13")

9. leman macrumors 604

@OP: anything in the current Apple's laptop lineup will completely satisfy your needs. I would recommend a 13" MacBook Air or a refurbished 15" retina MBP. If you want a 13" retina model, I recommend you to wait for the refresh in the autumn.

You are kidding, right? We are talking about Minecraft, not BF4 :D Sure, Minecraft is poorly programmed, but its still far from being a demanding game.

10. decdec8, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

decdec8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all

Thanks for all of your replies! A big help. I especially liked the idea of a refurbished 15 rMbp. I have a few other questions. I found a great deal on a 15 rMbp and was wondering if I should buy it now. But I am aware of the upcoming MacBook Pro release in September, October range. Would the price drop significantly enough to make me want to hold out and also what would I be missing out by buying the current MacBook Pro. Also I was wondering about another option besides apple? Maybe a windows equivalent to the MacBook Pro, but still fits into my original requirements. Thanks again!
    Also I was thinking since I qualify for education pricing should I buy the refurbished retina now because I get $100 off plus a $100 gift card and the deal ends before the new macs come out
    Or will the price go down enough to compensate for the loss of the education pricing

11. decdec8 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Laco macrumors 6502

Apple does not offer educational pricing on refurbished items. So if you want to buy this item there is no reason for waiting. Only you can decided if you should wait for the haswell update but I would guess that after the update a new 15 inch retina Macbook Pro will cost you over $2000.

13. decdec8 thread starter macrumors newbie

How much will the price go down for the refurbished MacBook pro

14. Laco macrumors 6502

From my past experience following this the price does NOT usually go down any further on refurbished models right after the release of a new model.

15. offgray macrumors member

I disagree about minecraft being poorly programmed, unless you mean it has "bad" graphics/not-top-of-the-line-will-kill-your-gpu graphics.

Minecraft runs fine on my 2010 13" entry-level MBP (yes, no dedicated graphics on this one). You just have to be satisfied enough not to run at Fancy graphics.

To the OP:

If you will be using a mouse most of the time and not the trackpad, by all means buy a Windows laptop/machine. It'll be a lot cheaper for you to get and the sheer amount of manufacturers gives you a lot of configurations to choose from. The main thing that keeps me with Mac is how I got used to their trackpads which is hands down the best thing ever.

But if you're set on getting an MBP, wait for the newer models. At that point, you can still get discounts on the 2012 stock which'll be better than getting a 100$ gift card on the Appstore if you think that the upgrade isn't all that big a difference to current generation MBPS.

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I cannot reiterate enough how much this is true. The trackpad on the MacBooks is the best one I've ever tried. Windows laptops have started getting close (the Samsung Series 9, specifically, has a really really really good trackpad, but it just barely falls short of the MacBook trackpad in terms of smoothness/responsiveness. It is super close though).

17. leman macrumors 604

No, I am referring to the rendering engine. It is horrendously inefficient. And they still haven't solved the light artefacts and stuff like that.

18. offgray macrumors member

I don't want to turn the OP's thread into a minecraft discussion but I've never experienced the light artefacts (or if I have I might not have noticed). Screenshot?

19. leman macrumors 604

I am referring to stuff like this. They improved it in latest updates, but you still get weird glitches around slabs/stairs/corners. As to my remark about 'bad coding' - a voxel engine like Minecraft should have better performance on modern hardware. I know that they were using per-chunk display lists and recently VBOs, but my guess is that they don't use the graphical API optimally. The relatively low Minecraft performance is most likely due to the batching problem. To be fair, it has improved considerably with 1.6

20. offgray macrumors member

Thanks for showing/telling me what I needed to know.

21. decdec8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any good windows computers that they would suggest?

22. offgray macrumors member

This probably isn't the best place to ask, haha. What's your budget though? Are you willing to pay around the same price?

23. decdec8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya haha my budget is still the same along with my requirements

24. offgray macrumors member

I can't think of anything specific (it's been a loooong time since I've looked around for Windows laptops), but as one person has mentioned earlier the Samsung Series 9 laptops have pretty decent trackpads. I've had good experiences with HP laptops. I'd be looking in those two companies' lineups if I was in the market for a Windows laptop.

if you wanna go Windows 8, the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga is a good choice too.