Laptop Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TSE, Oct 10, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Windows 7 is right around the corner, and I in the market for a laptop. I enjoyed aspects of the Mac laptops, but overall I was disappointed in the bad Windows drivers and I am not looking for anything fancy.

I don't need anything incredibly fast, as all I will be doing is web browsing, Youtube/Hulu full screen videos, hold my music, and run old games from 2002 and older. Even though the Intel integrated graphics probably would work, it is better to be safe then sorry, so I have been looking for a laptop that has atleast the nVidia 9300/9400M graphics or something equivalent from ATI, like the HD 4330. I want something that has great battery life, isn't bulky, and is portable.

I was going to buy the HP Mini 311 - an 11 inch netbook with the requirements I need since it has the 9400M, but I decided I would like to have an optical drive, and carrying a portable drive would ruin the point.

Another one that interests me a lot is the Acer Timeline series. It basically has everything I need, optical drives, a Core 2 Solo which is still more than I need, and it is incredibly thin and good looking with great battery life. The only problem is it has Intel integrated graphics.

With the coming of Windows 7, are computer manufacturers hold off on updating their laptops? Is there any laptops that are similar to the Timeline series that is less than 600 bucks? Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would stay away from Acer. We've had 4 Acer laptops in my family and all of them have had problems during the first year. 2 of them had major battery issues (charge lasted for less than an hour) and my dad and I had to fight many times with Acer support over the phone to get them replaced for reasonable price. 1 had bad logic board and it had to be replaced though that went OK (just a call and they picked it up next day) but the last one has some serious screen issues (it just goes black sometimes and does some random flashing) but Acer refused to replace it and this happened during the first month. Me and my dad have now decided never to buy Acer product again. Their support is awful and so it their products. Lenovo is what I recommend but I'm not sure how well their products suit to your budget.

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

So what is a better processor, the Intel Atom N270/N280 series or the AMD Neo Dual-Core?