Laptop Hunters ADs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleTecFan, Aug 5, 2009.

1. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

In the Laptop Hunters ad, are the people actors or real people, Because in one ad i saw a person with he face blurred out????

2. ag55 macrumors regular

The ads are unscripted, thats what makes them so effective i feel.
    They are real people shopping for their computers with some help from MS

3. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I seem to remember a while ago they found out that one was an actor. And even if they aren't they are still getting paid by microsoft to say good things about PCs and to purchase one.

4. liamwillib macrumors member

Every time one of the ads come out everybody here believes they are actors and i tend to agree. Particularly when in one of the ads, (lauren i think) the actor/real person is filmed walking into the mac store to check out the macs and when she is filmed walking out, the same random person is seen about 5 paces further down the road from where they could be seen when she entered the store.

That gave her about 3 seconds for her to check out all the macs in the store and come to the opinion they were overpriced and she wasn't cool enough for one.

Forgive me if i'm leading you to the wrong ad (lauren) but it definitely happens with one of the laptop hunter ads.

Edit: obviously doesn't guarantee she was an actor but definitely wasn't a person being allowed/intending to make an informed decision.

5. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

ya i did see that wow

6. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

I believe Lauren turned out to be a SAG (Screen actors Guild) member. Doesn't mean she was paid to act necessarily, but as a SAG member I don't believe you're allowed to do non-union work, which it most certainly would have been if she was really just pulled off the street.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

The people are fake, not real people! Microsoft robots!

8. Eclipseon macrumors newbie

Okay...didn't get the "pace" variation that was mentioned to have transpired in Lauren's Ad, but looked on Youtube and finally saw the same bald man in two of the scenes--one where she supposedly walked into the Apple Store and one where she supposedly walked out. How weird >.> And unfair.

Ah well...I'm not biased. I love both PC and Mac equally. I just wanted a change of view after working on a PC for close to a gazillion years ^__^

9. iGEORGIAban macrumors newbie

those adverts are fake, and scripted. funny how they edited laurens( hot one) ad to not talk about price.

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

They are ADs! Have you ever seen an ad without actors?!

11. drjuice macrumors member

The real problem with those ads is that they're saying "PCs are cheap!" and not saying anything beyond that. Apples ads say "Hey, these are better computers," albeit in a bit of a smug way.

Everyone knows PCs are cheaper, but with the rest of the industry sliding (and Microsoft reporting its worst decline in history) and with Apple reporting its best non-holiday quarter (bet that this holiday quarter will be best-ever-in-company-history), being the cheapest isn't necessarily the best strategy, especially given the reputation that PCs are cheap and you get what you pay for - meaning a lot of them are junk, and seen as such.

12. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

those are terrible ads.
    lol the $1500 dollar one: (chick) "Is this video card going to be powerful?" (chinese man nods)"mmhmm" (chick)"This computer is perfect for me."

And the 1700 law student and mom: "I want it to run programs fast"

OMG: "(sales person pulls out remote) "OOOOOOHHHHH" (10 seconds later) "BLLLLLUUUUU RRRRRAAAAYYYY"

These are clearly meant for the uninformed, and are attacking the recession fretting folks. Its almost dirty.

13. liamwillib macrumors member

I don't have a problem with adverts using actors. I do have a problem with actors being used with the intention to mislead people into thinking that the person in the ad is someone off the street making an informed decision.

No problem if someone chooses a pc out of choice after weighing up the pros and cons for them, but bashing a product by intentionally misleading people into thinking that every real person that considers a mac, chooses a PC due to uninformed perceptions (which they are pushing to the public as fact). They stage it like a mini documentary and its wrong

The apple ads are also guilty of playing on perceptions and weaknesses of vista in particular but i believe they get away with it because the actors are shown as obviously being actors. This allows the consumers to be pulled in by apples claims, but take them with a pinch of salt because the actors making claims are not pretending to be real.

Right, end of rant. lol

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

If you believe that any commercial has ever used off the street people for this kind of marketing...ive got a bridge to sell you.

Give me a break people.

15. Sullycanpara macrumors newbie

I believe they might be "real" shoppers...

I can fully believe that they are "real" shoppers, and not just actors paid by MS to say what they want to say. Having worked selling computers, the problem is that most people just look at the price tag of computers, and not what they'll actually DO for them. So many times I was selling a customer a computer and asked them if they've considered a Mac, only to have them say no, they're too expensive. When you take time to show them a Mac, explain the differences and how they can be better, some people would actually see the value in what they're spending all that money on and buy a Mac.

A big problem in the Mac world is that not many computer sales persons actually KNOW anything about Macs, so are reluctant to sell something they don't know much about. You also have so many places on commission, with incentives and bonuses to sell product A over product B, and it is hard for a customer to get a true, honest opinion on products. I've walked into a computer store near where I lived, told them I want to buy a Mac, only to be "sold" an HP laptop. Was it the best one for me? No....I got the feeling the sales guy didn't know much about Mac, so didn't think he could sell the product....who knows, maybe he got more of a bonus off of the HP as well....

Lastly, the thing that makes me laugh is that the people state what they're looking for, and yet don't look at the good features that the Macs would give them. Look at the video editor....what person that does any editing or creative work doesn't know that Macs are great for that sort of thing? While the price of a Mac doesn't always fit into everyone's budget, for most of the shoppers they could have found a Mac that would have fit their budget, and fit their bill. The only problem Mac has is that most of their "consumer" level laptops are only 13" screen sizes...one of the big reasons why most people who I was selling laptops to DIDN'T buy a Mac... they wanted a 15-16" screen size. If Mac made a 15" Macbook that was only SLIGHTLY more than their 13" version, perhaps spec. it the same as a 13" with a bigger screen I think you'd find more people interested in buying. I personally spent all that extra cash to get the 15" screen on my MBP... I have yet to use the fancy extra GPU that it came with, but really wanted the bigger screen.

All in all I think the Hunter ads are effective at getting the message across to their perspective customers, but think it is funny how the MS ads don't actually sell their product directly....HP, Dell and all the other computer makers must love the extra advertising. Mac's ads are still the best in my mind...hey, they actually address their product, but good job by MS in my mind.

Tim