Laptop Insurance and Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acuriouslad, Jun 13, 2010.

1. acuriouslad macrumors regular

I live in Australia, I am definitely going to get laptop insurance when I buy my 15" i5 next month the question remains should I then still buy Applecare? The reason I really want laptop insurance is because it covers accidental damages and theft and as a uni student both of those are things I need to make sure I'm safe with. So does having insurance make buying Applecare worthless, or is there something I'm missing?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Insurance protects you from things like accidental damage and theft, which a warranty doesn't. A warranty like AppleCare protects you from manufacturer defects and provides technical phone support, which insurance doesn't. Insurance and warranties have completely different purposes.

Searching the forum with MRoogle will usually find answers to most of your questions:

Is AppleCare Worth It?
    Is AppleCare Plan worth it?
    applecare worth it?
    Is AppleCare worth it?
    Is AppleCare Worth It?
    Is AppleCare worth it??
    Applecare? is it worth it?
    Is Applecare worth getting???
    Is Applecare worth it for MBP?
    Is AppleCare worth it?
    Applecare - if ever you thought it wasn't worth it
    Is AppleCare or extra warranty really worth buying?
    Applecare for MBP is $349. Is it really worth it?

3. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

Applecare protects you from "accidental damages"?

I thought Applecare was just an extended warranty.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, that's not what I said. AppleCare does NOT cover accidents or damage... only manufacturing defects.

5. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Insurance may protect you against manufacturers defects as well. You need to talk to your insurance provider. If it covers I would go with the insurance. I would also check if your bank or credit card company offers extended warranty.

IN UK Natwest offers 1+ warranty and accidental damage protection if you have advantage gold account. And I remember in USA most of the credit cards did the same thing.

6. unamused macrumors 6502

I had a friend who got a macbook a few years back and her parents got insurance on it... lucky for her because that macbook turned out to be a total POS. She got things repaired under apple care several times.. (yes she got applecare AND insurance). She had issues with the plastic body cracking, the trackpad not clicking, weird spots on the display, keyboard issues, etc... . Eventually after countless repairs, one of the apple "idiots" said that the problems were caused by water damage... which made complete sense because the moisture sensors didnt trip :rolleyes:

anyway, long story short, after apple refused to fix her macbook, they went through the insurance policy they got and recovered the cost of the crapbook and applecare.

Shes on a pc now.

That said, when i order my MBP, im going to look into what insurance policies i can get.