Laptop Insurance for Travelling

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by irishgrizzly, May 10, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Hi Everybody

I was wondering if anybody has any advice on insuring laptops while traveling. I'm heading off to Canada in a few weeks for a year. Also just wondering how do you keep them safe while away. Was thinking of using security lockers in hostels or trying to get one of those storage facilities places to hold it for a month or so while i travel around a bit.

Thanks in Advance

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Can you just leave the laptop at home with somebody? How long are you going to travel for exactly? You say a year in the first sentence, but then you say a month later.

What kind of computer is it? If it's nice, don't bring it.

I wouldn't trust those security cables necessarily in a hostel. My friend had his digital camera stolen from him while he was in a hostel (we were in the same room too). It was in his jacket next to him on his bed. Those pickpockets and thieves are good.

Besides, I wouldn't risk a laptop, period.

If you're talking about real insurance. That's expensive. My friend got one just for going to college and that cost a few hundred bucks ($300 max I think, maybe a bit more). Anyway, his laptop actually did get stolen.

If you're going to travel, the risk is much higher and I'd imagine you'd have to pay a lot more.