Laptop-less for the first time in nearly 15 years!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtcedinburgh, Jun 6, 2012.

1. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

Well, that's the end of an era - my mid-2009 MBP has just been collected by its new owner. Must admit, it was running sweet-as with its spangly fresh SL install on a brand new 256Gb Crucial M4 SSD, made me wonder why I even bothered selling it....

Anyway, so now I am without a laptop for the first time since 1998! But not for long.

I really hope that the new 13" MBPs are a bit better than that (possibly faked) sticker would suggest ; if need by I can always buy a 15" but I'm concerned that it might just be a bit too bulky for carrying around. Has anyone moved from a 13" MBP to a 15" and if so, how did you find the change (in terms of lugging the thing around, mainly)?

For me, the new laptop really ought to have a quad core i7, SSD and at least 8Gb of RAM. I'll be gutted if they don't offer a Retina option at least, as I've never understood why Apple laptop displays don't lead the pack: my last PC laptop (a Dell Inspiron) had a 15" 1600x1200 screen back in 2001! It was a really nice screen too; I'd love to have that sort of screen real-estate (or greater) on a Mac laptop without the ridiculous 17"...

So, one way or another, I'll have a new laptop within a few weeks.... meantime, I'll have to slum it with the iPad...

Anyone else currently 'laptop-less' whilst they wait for whatever may come?

2. emacna1 macrumors regular

Rough life.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

4. jtcedinburgh thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, don't I know it. I might have to BTO my new MBP in solid gold.

(...if only I were indeed rich! It's a business purchase anyway...)

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what makes it a rich people problem is how you consider using a iPad "slumming it", i feel bad for people that have $600 toys

6. DrKockter macrumors member

LOL the new macbooks wont come out on the 11th, they will be "anounced" on the 11th. who knows how long apple decides to release them

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I can't remember any computer that Apple released going back to when I started paying attention in 2008 or so that wasn't on sale the day it was announced.

8. jtcedinburgh thread starter macrumors regular

Can't argue against that - though I don't own it (it's a company iPad), it's far from being used just for business (as you'd probably guess). Anyway, it was a figure of speech, nothing more. One must afford one a little slack, mustn't one?

The Mac Mini, though, that's one's own :)

9. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I am quite sure the OP was joking and there is really no one on this forum that doesn't fit into the "first world problem" category......

I don't find too many homeless people posting here using their iPad. If there are, they are hiding their electronics very well from other predators.

I mean really, most people trolling ahem visiting these forums are people with enough disposable income and time to waste *looks guiltily around at work* calling ONE out is a rather futile exercise imo.

10. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Well, trust me they have in the past. I could give you a long list...

The one that sticks in my mind the most is the First Gen Intel-Mac MBP (2006??). I ordered that thing the day it was announced and it didn't ship for a few weeks. The plus side was that by the time it did ship Apple bumped the processor speed so it was faster than what was announced.

-P

11. ivanpk macrumors regular

Wouldn't it kill sales of the 2011 mbp if they announced the new ones and didn't offer them immediately?

12. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Chill, bro.

What are you going to do with the new laptop that you couldn't do with the old one?

Are you planning to cure cancer?

----------

I was homeless for a while and the iPad kept me warm. :apple:

At least I got free WiFi from the Starbucks I was bumming it off of.

13. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

Hahah, 1st world problems.

Such as it is, I find the 15 inch laptop to be a huge difference from the 13 even though it's only a 1 pound difference in terms of traveling, the footprint is a lot larger, but you do get more screen real estate.

I'd really like it if they came out with a 15 inch air.

14. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

Grumpy mc-Scrooge

:D

15. cshel24 macrumors member

I feel your pain, I am using a 2004 iBook 'til I get my MacBook back from the repair shop. I am thinking about, or pretty much counting on buying a new Pro when they come out and selling the old MacBook. I am glad it broke under warranty before I sold it to somebody

16. bill-p macrumors 65816

Here, my good sir.

Moved from a 13" 2010 MBP to 13" 2010 MBA, and now with 15" 2011 MBP. Likely will stick with this machine even if a new redesigned thinner 15" MBP with retina display comes to pass.

Why? Because the weight doesn't bother me at all. Nor is the size. I was expecting quite a difference, but... there was no difference. It's weird coming from a MacBook Air, but the 15" 2011 MBP feels just as thin and only slightly heavier to me.

In terms of lugging around, I have carried this 15" device in a Timbuk2 bag while commuting sometimes, and I have even walked distances in excess of 2 miles multiple times during the past month.

It was just the same.

And I get a quad-core i7, 16GB of RAM, with 500GB of storage, with 7-10 hours of practical screen-on time on any random day so I've been very happy.

The only thing I am hoping for Apple to do better at this point is to improve battery life. Other than that, better screen or faster processors don't sway me anymore. I've figured that my usage tops out at a quad-core i7 now.

17. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I switched from a 2009 13" MBP (2.26 C2D) to an early-2011 15" MBP (2.0 i7). I love the graphics and the speed of the new MBP, but I really miss the 13" size. I don't move it around as much and have been using my iPad a lot more since I got it. I just find it kind of cumbersome to take places...even coffee shops and school. If I could go back in time, I probably would have gotten a 13" MBA.

My dream Mac was would be a 13" MBP, no optical drive, SSD, dedicated graphics, and a retina display. Probably won't happen for a while, but I can dream :D

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

What a lot of Mac enthusiasts forget, is just how small & light a 15" MBP is. Compared to it's Windows counterpart, it averages 1.2 to 2 lbs lighter, and 0.4" to 1.0" thinner.

The footprint is similar, yet it feels a lot smaller due to lack of bulk. Therefore any man that's reasonably fit can carry one quite easily. Every business day I choose to carry either my 15" or 17" no problem.

Over the weekend I carry my 13" MBA, it's so light I don't even notice it. Covered with a sleeve, I carry it in my Timbuk 2 messenger, or a back pack.

Nothing beats a fresh new Mac :)

19. jtcedinburgh thread starter macrumors regular

No, but if I managed that I'd be quite pleased!

I run a web business and I need to be able to work remotely on occasion. As the site is built using the MS .net stack (quiet at the back ;-) I need to be able to dip in and out of Windows 7 but my way of working means that I like to run in a virtualised environment (currently W7 Enterprise N running in Parallels 7.x with 4Gb dedicated ram). On my C2D, this was always just a bit sluggish (in comparison with my main work machine, the i7 iMac) and so a faster CPU and the ability to go to 16Gb ram is a big plus. Not forgetting the fact that it is a work machine and so I can justify a new one for warranty cover, reclaim the VAT and offset the lot against a corporation tax bill...

All that said and done, I also would find great benefit in a higher resolution so that I can fit more into my Windows VM session without having to connect to an external monitor; running SQL Server 2008 R2 *and* VS2010 Ultimate together on a 13" display involves a lot of inefficient task switching....

Well, you did ask :)