Laptop Lock

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lukin, Oct 29, 2008.

1. lukin macrumors regular

Now that I have my new MBP on the way, I'm looking at accessories and have everything I need but the lock. Anyone use a lock and have some recommendations?

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I have a Kensington lock that uses a key. I've heard that some of the combination locks are prone to jamming and then need to be broken off. Mine has been serving me well for six years now. I particularly like that it has a nice long cable.

3. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

I see some on the online store and the reviews say you have to have it about a foot away from what you lock it to. I would like a longer chord...that could wrap around the top of a desk. I like the key idea, as compared to a combo.

4. iamfudge macrumors newbie

iAlertU

Along with that lock, a nice program is iAlertU, which can be activated with an apple remote, and is fun to use when sitting at a Starbucks, or other public place, where you would stand up and grab a cup of coffee, just having a little more security.

5. claimed4all macrumors 6502

6. phuong macrumors 6502a

you'll be disappointed when seeing these locks being picked in less than 5 seconds on youtube

7. portent macrumors 6502a

Round-key locks can be picked with parts from a plastic pen. Get a combination lock, but get a good one. (Any crappy lock can jam.)

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Honestly, I see very little difference between the "normal" locks that cost nearly $40 and the cheap one that I got on ebay for $2. I used it extensively in the dorms and had no problems with it jamming. It has a 5 foot cord, roughly, and is a 4-digit combination. There is also one available that is a 3-digit that has a retractable cable, although I feel that that one could be more easily broken.
    The point is though, if some one wants your laptop, not even a $200 cable will keep them from getting it. That cable is just enough to keep the amateur criminals at bay for a while.

9. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Yup... I can break one with a strand of hair:p