Laptop locks for my new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by holypetunias, Aug 10, 2010.

1. holypetunias macrumors newbie

Hey MacRumors, I hope I put this in the right place....

I'm moving into a dorm room for college soon, and after hearing of the high computer theft rates, I decided that I should get a laptop lock for my new 13" Macbook Pro. What locks would you recommend? I've also got a time machine to bring with me, is there any way that i'd be able to lock that as well?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Kensington locks. Most devices have them, Airport Extremes and Time Capsules included.

3. holypetunias thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard good things about Kensington locks, but which lock specifically would you recommend?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They are all basically the same, a combination type lock on a length of cable with a loop at one end. They won't stop a determined criminal but good enough to deter a quick grab.

5. kwarren Guest

Yeah, if we're being honest here, laptop locks are nothing more than a deterrent. If someone really wants your MBP, they're going to grab it. I've found what works well for most people in a college setup is a Kensington combination lock (it comes with a little pin to set the combo—make SURE you set it correctly or you'll be in trouble) looped through a big piece of furniture, like a bed or desk.

No laptop lock is going to stand up to a big pair of bolt cutters, but that's probably the best physical security measure you can opt for.

Make sure to install one of the various lojack-like apps out there and you might want to etch your name into the bottom of the laptop (lots of university housing departments offer this for free.) Also, register your laptop's serial number with campus police. I've had friends do this at the start of the year, and the unlucky few who have had their stuff stolen ended up getting it all back because of steps like these.