Laptop Locks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArmyKnight12, Jan 25, 2008.

1. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

As a college student, I'd like to lock my MBP up when I'm not in the room. Does anyone know of any good laptop locks. The Kensignton ones did not get good reviews off the Apple site, so I'm asking help from those who use locks and whether they would be effective. Thanks a lot.

2. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

3. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

As a Criminal Justice Major I would say that the best deterrent is to be extremely discreet. when your machine is not with you cover it make it look like an eye sore. (its gonna be hard with a MBP cause she is puuuurdy).. and just keep a keen sixth sense about you, if there are people asking you Spec on your machine be weary...I don't worry though cause I carry a 1911

4. dmb3886 macrumors regular

and if ur really worried about it i'd install LoJack..it's a software that puts some tracker into your computer, so if it's ever stolen..lojack will be able to locate it's exact location and will send authorities to it

5. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

Haha nice mate, springfield? kimber?

6. fobdout macrumors newbie

7. letswastetime macrumors regular

i bought lojack in august when i bought my macbook but only got the 1 year one. I registered it and everything but never had to use it, thankfully. It was kind of expensive though so a lock would probably make better use. I mean if you feel unsafe in your dorm room you should get one, but me, personally, i feel totally safe and that no one will still my macbook or anything for that matter.

8. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Definitely a Springfield man i have owned damn near everytype of pistol with the exception of wilson combat, springfield is the poop!

Consequently I made a shirt with a picture of me holding my 1911 with a caption that says not a victim!
    lol

Cheers!

9. JDR macrumors regular

It's surprising to me that the Kensington ones recieved poor reviews...the hole on the laptop itself is called the "Kensington Security Slot"...so I would imagine that the two Kensington products would go hand in hand.

10. BarryW macrumors member

I have the kensington microsaver notebook lock. It was issued with the companies laptop. It does the job.
    It comes with two keys(don't misplace the keys its a real pain the a$$), and online registration to order replacement keys.

Don't travel with the lock in your hand luggage, they get confiscated at the airport.