Laptop, Macbook, both have wirless -> Can I make them comunicate?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sceneshifter, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hey,

I have here one laptop and one macbook. I would like to set up some sort of super handy wireless network. her Laptop is showing up in Finder (can't access, no clue what pass we should use, I tried hers, didn't work) for some reason, but my mac is not showing up in her XP.

Now, we have a router, but one that does not allow networking the pcs together if I understand correctly. ANd anyone, that's one with wires and I don't want those.

Is there any way, to make the two connect to eachother using nothing but their wireless connection?

If not, any other quick and easy solution (without using routers etc...!)

Thanks

2. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

it's not as simple is just having 2 wireless computers. Its just like you trying to plug a ethernet plug in one end and the other.

3. Gaelic1 macrumors member

I have a laptop and 2 iMacs running on a wireless network through an Apple Airport extreme router. I can see all three, they show up under shared devices.It was easy to do this with Apple Extreme. :D

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. salvatore macrumors member

If all you're looking to do is connect the two machines to each other (and not connect them to the Internet), check out setting up an ad-hoc wireless network. Ive done this with a MBP and Dell notebook quite easily.

Google results:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

6. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

-This works fine on modern NICs as they have the ability to cross over

And yes it'll work fine with a bit of fiddling around.

7. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

thanks for the link, I set up the network like this and it works (excellent). Now I can't find her computer though! We have both good connection, but none can find a folder to actually share? ANy clue on what I should do ?

8. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Have you enabled folder sharing and shared some folders?

9. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I have yes, and she has a shared folder on windows aswell?

10. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Almost there now, I can see her shared folder, she can't see mine?

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I wasn't able to add the Shard folder using SMB from my MacBook using Map Network Drive in Windows.

I was able to add it as a Network Place though.

12. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Very simple:

-Occasionally I would like to use this Ad Hoc technique to share internet with my brother since he has a kickass connection. And it seems to be quite nice to be able to do it with wireless ad hoc! Fabulous.

-Use this ad hoc thing to beam movies and pictures from my computer to my new macbook

-Use this also in the most simple way to simply share a folder between me and the laptop of the misses to be able to quickly transfer pictures, wireless, using what I suppose would have to be a shared folder!

Thanks!

13. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

On the pc have you control panel>networkin>wirelessadapter>properties and enabled windows sharing, then clicked on a folder and shared it?
    On the mac have you enabled windows sharing under 'sharing' in the pref pan?

14. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I have no such option 'windows sharing', in sharing, under leopard.. ? Sure it's still called that way?

15. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I tried to do something similar: Wanted to run Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) between my Mac and my Dell laptop running Windows 2000.

The only way I could get ICS running is to plug the ethernet cable in to the Mac and have it go online via PPPoE. Then I turn on ICS using AirPort. The Dell laptop sees the Mac as an Access Point :)confused:) and can then get internet access. I could not get WEP to work either. The Dell would fail to recognise the Mac if I set a WEP key.

Pretty odd since there is no routers involved that my Mac appears as an Access Point and not Ad Hoc.